• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Transparency

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
Los Angeles, CA
We all know how to find out the light transmission of the various lenses Oakley has to offer, but the subject of being able to see your eyes from the other side of the lens seems to come up a lot. It also tends to be one of the main features that steers us toward a particular lens shade.

I think having this listed here could benefit anyone on this forum. I don't think any one person owns all the different lenses Oakley makes, so this would be where the community would step in and contribute. Please help out by posting the color of the lens and if you or someone else can see your eyes. I'll compile all the posts on the 2nd post of this topic.

Thanks in advance to all those who can contribute.

Standard Lenses
Lens Tint -- can you see your eyes: yes/no)

24K Iridium -- No
Black Iridium -- No
Black Violet Iridium
Blue Iridium -- No
Bronze --Yes
Chrome Iridium -- No
Clear -- Yes
Dark Bronze -- Yes
Dark Grey -- Yes/Maybe
Emerald Iridium -- No
Fire Iridium -- No
Fire Iridium Polarized -- No
G20 -- Yes
G26 Iridium -- ?
G30 -- Yes
G30 Iridium -- ?
G40 -- ?
Gold Iridium -- No
Grey -- Yes
H.I. Persimmon Iridium -- ?
H.I. Yellow -- Yes
Ice Iridium --No
Jade Iridium -- No
Light Positive Red Iridium -- Yes
OO Red Iridium Polarized -- ?
OO Black Iridium Polarized -- ?
Persimmon -- Yes
Positive Red Iridium -- Yes/Maybe
Pink Iridium --Yes
Ruby Clear -- Yes
Ruby Iridium -- No/Maybe
Slate Iridium - Yes/Maybe
Titanium Iridium -- No
Titanium Clear Iridium -- Yes
Violet Iridium -- ?
VR28 -- Yes
VR28 Black Iridium Polarized -- No
VR28 Blue Iridium -- ?
VR28 Gold Iridium Polarized -- ?
Warm Grey -- Yes/Maybe
Yellow -- Yes

VR28 Black Iridium Polarized-No.....mostly. the less light leakage the more your eyes hide. On my Pit Boss a big no and on my X Squared a moderate no.

Also...Positive Red Iridium has been all over the place over the years. My only experience is on the New Straight Jacket II where its a big no....almost to the Fire Polarized degree

This could be a tricky list to compile because transparency may differ from model to model. For example, on the Oakley Frogskins Rootbeer Cyan Fade which come with blue iridium lenses you can see your eyes. With the Oakley Frogskins Grenade Fade, which come with black iridium, you can see your eyes a little too. I think Oakley are quite liberal with the transparency of lenses across their model range, as ucdavis4PT0gpa mentions.

This could be a tricky list to compile because transparency may differ from model to model. For example, on the Oakley Frogskins Rootbeer Cyan Fade which come with blue iridium lenses you can see your eyes. With the Oakley Frogskins Grenade Fade, which come with black iridium, you can see your eyes a little too. I think Oakley are quite liberal with the transparency of lenses across their model range, as ucdavis4PT0gpa mentions.[/QU
We all know how the visual appearance of some lenses shift over time and with batches (notably Ruby and Fire....Emerald to an extent too) so perhaps the transmission pct shifts as well although within the same model I've never noticed that. What I have noticed is that some people review a lens and say it transmits more light than Oakley claims or vs another lens (like Ice, BI etc) -and its a contrast lens. Contrast lenses are tricky in that regard because they are non neutral which means they emphasize a certain part of the spectrum causing the appearance of more transmission. Now, insofar as perception is reality that's true...but when you measure it, it not. Like I just walked 3 miles with Fire Pol. and I could swear its letting more light through than equivalent neutral...but taking them off side by side I realize that's not the case

I hear what you guys are saying because when i wear the Ice Iridium on my Half Jackets, no one can see my eyes, but when i wear my Split Jackets with Ice Blue, i can see my eyes depending on how where the sun is. So it's a hit or miss.

So do you all still think this little project is even worth continuing?

definitely a good idea. i think this should be a sticky. even if not 100% accurate, it still gives a good idea to those looking to buy a particular lens. i know that for me personally, if you can see my eyes through the lens, its a deal breaker. so i would definitely like a reference as to which lenses the eyes are visible through.

edit: i noticed slate iridium is missing from the list. i dont have any experience with this lens, but i've read mixed reviews where some say the eyes are visible, and some say they aren't.

Back