• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lense are not 100% consistent that's for sure

alcapon1

I should Work at Oakley
West Side
So I understand that lense colors are not all the same and people understand this already...But...

So I ordered some Jade replacement lenses , when they came the two were in the same pouch so one was scratched. I felt bummed because they were nice but and had to return them. Well I got another pair which Oakley was happy to replace (thumbs up) but these are different. Right away I noticed that the green color is much more consistent throughout the lens then the other pair. I am really happy with them installed...they are impressive and seem special. I also had Jade lenses for a pair of Split Jackets and the mirror was less noticeable.. Which brings me to my point.

As a self labeled "experienced Oakley cono sur" I find myself judging lenses now based on mirror aspects, color range, and consistency. At stores I now spot the ones I would buy. I have actually turned down pairs or re-sold not because they are defective or anything, but because I felt they are a bit lackluster and did not pop. This is mainly about colored lenses ie -Emerald, Fire, Ice, Ruby, Jade...Ext

Anyone have a opinion on this or feel the same. Just wondering?

Totally agree. Lenses are so different sometimes, I don't get it. Have a pair of Fuel Cells and Frogskins with Ruby lenses in each and the colors are very different. The Fuel Cells are very bland while the Frogskin Ruby's seem to pop more. They definitely range especially with time. Have +Red from 5 years ago, bought new ones last year....completely different to me. The newer ones have the yellowish tint on the edges while the older ones do not show any yellow...

These are not the droids you are looking for. ;)

I personally don't worry so much about how my lenses look from the outside but rather how they look while I'm looking through them. Then again I'm not really a ruby or jade person..... I prefer something simple like BIP. :)

But yes...you can see differences in the lenses.

Totally agree. Lenses are so different sometimes, I don't get it. Have a pair of Fuel Cells and Frogskins with Ruby lenses in each and the colors are very different. The Fuel Cells are very bland while the Frogskin Ruby's seem to pop more. They definitely range especially with time. Have +Red from 5 years ago, bought new ones last year....completely different to me. The newer ones have the yellowish tint on the edges while the older ones do not show any yellow...

some of this between styles has to do with the curve of the lens

This is mainly about colored lenses ie -Emerald, Fire, Ice, Ruby, Jade...Ext

I've found it's the multi-hued lenses that are more prone to inconsistency; in my experience the single-color ones are pretty consistent.

The reds are the worst - Ruby, +red, oo red. I wonder if the new red Torch color coming out in the near future will have the same consistency issues...

Fire can be pretty inconsistent, too.

Jade, Sapphire, and Violet can be a little inconsistent. Note that all of these are multi-hued.

But Emerald, 24K, and Ice tend to be quite consistent. Note that these are all single-color.

I have some other colors but haven't handled in person enough different examples of the same lens to speak to their consistency.

I've found it's the multi-hued lenses that are more prone to inconsistency; in my experience the single-color ones are pretty consistent.

The reds are the worst - Ruby, +red, oo red. I wonder if the new red Torch color coming out in the near future will have the same consistency issues...

Fire can be pretty inconsistent, too.

Jade, Sapphire, and Violet can be a little inconsistent. Note that all of these are multi-hued.

But Emerald, 24K, and Ice tend to be quite consistent. Note that these are all single-color.

I have some other colors but haven't handled in person enough different examples of the same lens to speak to their consistency.
Torch red is already out. Or at least I've seen it already but don't ask me how it looks. :p

I personally don't worry so much about how my lenses look from the outside but rather how they look while I'm looking through them. Then again I'm not really a ruby or jade person..... I prefer something simple like BIP. :)

But yes...you can see differences in the lenses.
I concur.

I own a few colorful lenses. A violet, a fire or two... most everything I have is Black, Black, or Grey, or Black.

Back