• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lense Colour Question...

Lexkempo

Frog Fanatic
Montreal - South Shore
I recently snagged a 'NIB' Asian Fit Matte Rootbeer Split Jacket from SGH on a recent trip to the US (75$). Came with case, cloth bag and two sets of lenses ... for some weird reason the lenses are persimmon vented and clear (non vented). He even threw in a pair of gloss white regular nose bombs to offset the Asian Fit on my face.

Clearly this isn't as NIB as advertised but for the price i wasn't gonna pass it up.

Im looking for a new set of lenses that should look good with the frame colour.

QUESTION: What do youse guys suggest? I was looking into the vented light positive red iridium lenses ...

Thoughts/Opinions/Insults all welcome!!!

PS. Im not looking for iridium black, iridium tungsten or root beer since i already have all those colour lenses and im looking for something new ..

What about VR28 black iridium or OO black iridium polarized? I would think the VR28 BI would look cool in the matte rootbeer frame. Not sure about the OO BIP, but it is a nice lens as well.

Those are GREAT suggestions ... but they all seems to be on the darker side ... im leaning towards a 'in-between' style tint (a high 1 or 2 or a real low 3 on the Oakley scale)...

Hows G40 or VR50? i cant find much info on those tints?

The VR28 black iridium lens without the polarization filter actually has a protection index of 2. I think it is the most versatile lens Oakley makes because it works great in bright sunlight, however the VR28 base lens makes it brighten things up even in overcast conditions. I also like G40. It is a contrast lens has a pinkish hue to it, while very versatile it might not be so useful in bright sunlight. VR50 lets in too much light in my opinion to be useful as an in-between style. I had a pair of fast jackets that came with VR50 and I never used them, I thought they were just simply too bright to be an in-between lens (being as you already have a clear lens the VR50 would almost be redundant in my opinion). G30 is another good option, it is similar to G40 but lets in less light. An important point to make is all of these lenses (aside from the light positive red iridium) are contrast, and can look slightly different through everybody's eyes. I would buy a few different types of lenses and return the ones that do not work well if that is an option. If not any one of these lenses would be great options, it would just come down to a personal preference.

Thanks for the info, ill jus have to swing by a Oakley shop and try them out a bit to find the tint I like the most...

VR 28 looks like a solid purchase and will fit the frame colour
Positive light red iridium looks funk and is a stab in the dark

Ill keep youse guys in the loop

The VR28 black iridium lens without the polarization filter actually has a protection index of 2. I think it is the most versatile lens Oakley makes because it works great in bright sunlight, however the VR28 base lens makes it brighten things up even in overcast conditions. I also like G40. It is a contrast lens has a pinkish hue to it, while very versatile it might not be so useful in bright sunlight. VR50 lets in too much light in my opinion to be useful as an in-between style. I had a pair of fast jackets that came with VR50 and I never used them, I thought they were just simply too bright to be an in-between lens (being as you already have a clear lens the VR50 would almost be redundant in my opinion). G30 is another good option, it is similar to G40 but lets in less light. An important point to make is all of these lenses (aside from the light positive red iridium) are contrast, and can look slightly different through everybody's eyes. I would buy a few different types of lenses and return the ones that do not work well if that is an option. If not any one of these lenses would be great options, it would just come down to a personal preference.
I'm a big fan of VR50 on darker days. I rarely wear clear lenses except as safety glasses. VR50 is interchangeable with Persimmon to a degree, and doesn't bathe the world in color as strongly as persimmon.

I won't argue with you as everybody's eyes are different. My eyes can't tolerate much light so I steer away from lenses such as VR50 and persimmon just because of personal preference. Have they ever made a VR50 lens with an iridium coating (similar to say..G30)?

Back