• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses

There are many times several members post up threads with extensive research, comparisons, and most of all, personal experience when it comes to using aftermarket lenses, so a simple search can answer many questions....Many members want to have a specific color of a lens for a certain frame, so it Oakley doesn't make it we tend to go to an aftermarket company. Now, with that said, aftermarket is not such a bad thing when certain companies make high end gear, equipment, parts, etc that can adapt to a manufactures item. This can be anything from a turbo charger, to a camera lens. Oakley put research into developing a quality lens for there frames. Maui Jim, H20 Optics, and many other companies also take pride in quality optics. However when companies come out of bushes with a lens for a frame that's cheaper, people will buy it before even asking pertinent questions. How many of us, drive our vehicles and the windshield gets bugs, dirt, smears, smudges and road debris on it. For some people this can be a distraction especially if its in the field of view. I know I do..... Especially on a sunny day, a dirty windshield can cause a haze making it harder to see out. Now lets shrink it down to a scratch, smear, dirt, etc on a sunglass lens. Many, if not all of us hate this, as it impairs your field of view, what do we do? We either deal with it, or get new lenses. The next step is OEM or aftermarket. The aftermarket lens may look pretty, new, and clean, but the technology that goes into making them is non existent. You could buy gas station frames that would save you even more money and produce the same results. Your eyes, which you only have 2 of, are susceptible to all sorts of things in the environment. You use sunglasses to protect you and never consider could they be harming your vision. It may take some time, but poor quality optics can cause an issue if your eyes. Those of us that wear reading glasses or full on RX lenses/ or contacts understand what I mean. What happens when the RX strength is no long there and you strain to see or read. In the case of aftermarket poor optics, not all of them have UVA and UVB protection, some lenses are just simple light filters which down the road will cause bad light to get n your eyes faster. I have done much reading online by doing a simple google search. Studies have shown even some high end manufacturers dont have everything set in place for their optics. Many are just serious frame makes and you have lenses made to your specs to go in them. I personally have tried a few aftermarket lenses. After installing them i noticed how the bend of the lens can warp your field of view and make you feel uneasy on your feet. Also some lenses cause a starburst effect when looking a standard lighting. You may not notice it today, tomorrow or next week but it does put a strain on your eyes down the road. I know that I choose specific needs for my reading glasses and I know when the RX was off slightly or did not provide me with what I needed. Everyone wants to save their OEM lenses. What are you saving them for? Wear them and enjoy them, buy an extra set and keep them stored away. Take care of your lenses and frames and you wont have to worry about ruining them. Remember, they are your eyes........

Wow - that's the longest post I've seen you make. And all in one paragraph. But very well said...:neo:

I have been wearing Oakley optics for the better part of 25 years. While the rest of my family chose cheap sunnies. Now while they are shelling out for prescription glasses, I continue to enjoy perfect sight. Genetics? maybe. I know that is at best qualitative data but, why take a chance with your eyes to save a few dollars?

Well said I suppose. All great trying to save my expensive lenses but what about my irreplaceable eyes. But I didn't know the difference so happy days. I will shell out.

This page used to be better (more info) before they redesigned the website:

http://www.oakley.com/en/technology/eyewear

But in the HDO part click between "oakley" and "non-oakley" to see different results from the Prism test. They only briefly describe the Clarity test and Refractive Power test. It used to be you could see results for all three tests, using pulldowns to compare to specific competitors' lenses.

Also go just below that to the HD Polarized section to see how the polarization technology and manufacture differs.

I found the old page that lets you see results for all three tests compared to competitors, must still be hosted somewhere... Click on the individual "View [xyz] test results" links:

http://in.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/polarized/clarity

Latest Posts

Back