• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Less Smoke And Fewer Mirrors In The Exchanges

I like the "rules" posted by op, but I agree that they are essentially unenforceable. But I will go ahead and add it to the rules stickies in each exchange section.

I like the "rules" posted by op, but I agree that they are essentially unenforceable. But I will go ahead and add it to the rules stickies in each exchange section.

Thanks for your consideration Boss!
Yes unenforceable, but it helps to have a template to start with.
And money put where my mouth is, ad-free annual sponsorship paid.
Not because I care about not seeing ads (since my brain and eyes do a pretty good job at subconsciously filtering) but I'm really not a vendor so those selections didn't apply either.
But everyone who enjoys this site oughta kick something back...

I know what everyone is saying but almost everyone on this forum has posted at least one or two post on a for sale thread that didn't have to be there just like I did on the WTT Mursaki Holbrook thread because I was just just interested in the value of the item he was trading?? I didn't feel like I was hurting anyone by doing this and if I offended someone I'm sorry, but no one can say they havent done something like that before. Just me 2 cents!!

JOBEN - I was the OP on that thread, and your post didn't offend me. It was a curious question and simply taken in that manner. I'm guilty of posting comments on other OP's WTS/WTT threads also, but I don't believe that I've ever stated anything to maliciously (consciously or unconsciously) hurt the OP's chances of obtaining the deal that they were originally out to try and get. Batwolf intervened in my thread b/c I took offense to another comment that I felt was unnecessary and actually could've or may have played negative influence, in turn, ruining my chances of obtaining a successful transaction for what I originally wanted. I understand that it's sometimes human nature for people to just blurt out things without thinking about what kind of influence their words can actually have, and b/c of that I always try to think about what I say, before I say it. It should be even easier for a member to control what they type on a keyboard, b/c they can always hit the delete button and revise their comments to be as politically correct and non-interfering as possible, before hitting the send button. If anyone wanted to comment or ask about my reasoning and thought process behind my thread, then they should've just sent me a PM...simple as that.

That said, I agree with the majority here. While the OP's suggestions for a fix on the rules of engagement are good, ultimately it's too difficult to enforce. It's simply a matter of all members policing themselves on a regular basis and doing unto others as...

What is painful is when the second PM is more favorable than the first one, but you have to accept the first one anyway.

Why is it painful when the second offer is better? If the first was at your asking price then yes but it was what you wanted and you should honor it.

From my experiences here there are some people who respond first and try to lowball and when I respond they answer that they can get a better deal from CL. I usually tell them to go get it from CL. I don't have any collector stuff but when I sell I try to see what the going rate is and sell accordingly.

Not sure if anyone experienced this but I have. I was selling a item and the guy said it was easier to contact him with a cell number and texts so I gave a member my cell phone number and have gotten numerous unsolicited texts asking if I want to buy stuff.

Why is it painful when the second offer is better? If the first was at your asking price then yes but it was what you wanted and you should honor it.

You list 3 items. Let's say $100 shipped each. 1 will be easy to sell, 1 will be hard to sell. You get a PM for the easy item for $100. 30 minutes later you get another PM for all 3 for $300. You tell the first guy ok, the second guy is no longer interested, and you have to wait a couple weeks to sell the other two items.

I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't talking just about price.

I've never gotten a low ball offer on here. Maybe 10-15% less, or a package price, but never a low ball.

You list 3 items. Let's say $100 shipped each. 1 will be easy to sell, 1 will be hard to sell. You get a PM for the easy item for $100. 30 minutes later you get another PM for all 3 for $300. You tell the first guy ok, the second guy is no longer interested, and you have to wait a couple weeks to sell the other two items.

I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't talking just about price.

I've never gotten a low ball offer on here. Maybe 10-15% less, or a package price, but never a low ball.

I think offering 10-15% less is totally acceptable. I ask for at least that much of a discount on EVERYTHING I buy, whether it's electronics or groceries. I think most people price their items KNOWING that they are probably going to have to drop their pants a little bit.

So here's a question for you guys about sales ethics.

Let's say you are selling an item for $150. First member PM's you and is interested. While waiting for a response a second and third person also send a PM about it, the second person makes an offer that's less than your asking price but the third person is offering what you're asking.

Later the first member backs out and you're left with the second and third member. Do you go with the second or third member? I'm just wondering how you guys feel about someone that is "technically" in line for the item next but isn't offering you what you're asking.

Normally in these situations I go with the person offering me the asking price (or closest to it). Does that make the seller a d**k?

(this is a totally hypothetical situation)

Nope, I say seller has the right to sell to whomever he pleases. It's a non contractual agreement, so there is no reason to take the first offer if the second is what you really want. Ethics is a null point in this situation.

Nope, I say seller has the right to sell to whomever he pleases. It's a non contractual agreement, so there is no reason to take the first offer if the second is what you really want. Ethics is a null point in this situation.

Totally agree. Why anyone would shortchange themselves just because someone saw the post first is silly.

If you hadn't yet agreed to accept the lower offer you're not obligated to sell to someone who wants to pay you less than you're asking.

There is a certain code of ethics in selling online.

If you had agreed to take the lower offer, in my mind anyway, it shouldn't matter if someone offered twice as much as you're asking.

Just as if you're the buyer and say "I want it" or "I'll take it" without anything else, you've agreed to buy it and to back out after is a breach of the agreement.

On other forums that I deal on I usually have something that instructs to post in the thread that you want it, and that means you're ready to pay. Otherwise someone emails without a reply, someone sends a PM, and THEN someone posts in the thread, all wanting the item and thinking they're #1.

Usually when I get a lower offer I decline immediately or wait until the next day to respond. If I decline I'll politely say no thank you, but I'll keep the offer in mind.

Latest Posts

Back