• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Let's see your beater oakleys?

I consider my Pit Bull metallic black with OO BIP as my beater pair. I bought them used and have some very minor scratches on the lens.

full.jpg

Gen 2 m frames I got the for real cheap off of eBay. The lenses are somewhat banged up. I was going to change lenses, but I just bought a new pair of m frames, lol. I wear these when I'm working around outside I screw em up its no biggie.

Wear what i can and feel like that day. I use mostly my juliets (rotate around 9 paris including a polished ichiro slate), monster dogs, new twentys, zeroes, old school eye jackets, vintage racing jackets, split jackets, jawbones...yup, basically do not wear oaks to where they can be subject to damage. Luckily i am mostly indoors or in a car...

I wear all of my frames bar one (a Doc Chop cinder Hijinx that is my only display piece), but have never had a 'beater' pair until very recently.

Someone I traded with on OF threw in a beater Bruce Irons Hijinx to sweeten up a deal, as my intention was to mod it up in some way in the future - probably another Doc Chop paint-job for example. It has quite a few scratches here and there, so it would need a full paint, and new lenses.

However, the strangest thing happened. It became a beater pair for me too.
I've never had a beater Oakley before, as I am uber-careful with all of my glasses, but I must say I'm finding it quite liberating. It's actually seen quite a lot of face-time recently too, as it gets put in my backpack for commuting, so I am never without a Jinx. It also gets pulled out for 'yard/gardenwork' now, as a kinda outdoor safety sunglass.

Anyway, here it is. The hardcore workhorse of the Herbsley Hijinx collection. The roughneck brawler among its gleaming glitterati family.
Bless its heart - poor old thing.

j8e3.jpg

tumblr_mpn98sLf7h1rbptugo9_1280.jpg

These steel crankcases are my beaters. I use them when doing any sort of work outside on the truck, or if I'm at the lake, mowing lawns, pretty much whatever. They could still pass for new minus a few hairlines here and there.

My beater pair is my M frames that I used for baseball. The lenses ended up getting scratched and I got a pair of clear lenses from a forum member so now they are my safety glasses for inside and outside!
gj80.jpg

My M-Frame's are definitely worn out. Use them in the wood shop mainly. My Fives 4.0 are pretty beat up too, but I wear those almost daily. My Nanowire 2.0's, which I've had for 3 years now, are actually almost near perfect, and I wear the hell out of them! Great pair. I usually give my beat up pairs to my fiance. She has a very bad reputation with sunglasses, so she's more than happy to take the worn out ones since she scratches the heck out of them.

I don't have pictures handy, but I have keep a well-used pair of Whiskers in the car in case I manage to forget one of my normal pairs. As real beaters, I have a pair of Eye Jackets (circa 2000) that I wore forever. And just for fun, I have an unknown pair (80's Blades, possibly?) that I've been known to break out for yard work.

I absolutely agree with Herbsley... having a trustworthy pair that gets worn daily as a 'beater pair' is quite liberating. Every day I walk past my double-wide and can't seem to pull one outta there... but without thought, l reach for my old, trusty, nicked & chipped, formerly flat-black, now worn glossy-black Monster Dogs. They're absolutely great, and I don't seem to give them a care in the world... but I'll sure miss them when they're gone. Thankfully I have a flat-black Gascan in the bullpen waiting to get called into the game.

Latest Posts

Back