• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Limited Editions

ST55

Oakley Beginner
Just curious, once a new model is released do you have a gut feeling that it will end up being quite a rare pair. Im currently looking at my next pair being the Frogskin Camo and wondered if they too would end up quite rare

I've hedged my bets by picking up a couple of Juliet LE's to increase the collectability factor.

It really all depends. I feel that since the Jupiter Camo frogskin was such a beauty and success (with all other frogskins last year being fcuking ugly) they will end up being one of the more "sought after" pairs by summer time.

Those Jupiter Camo Frogskins were at my local Vault last week. Looks like if anyone wants them now is the time to grab them!

ST55 said:
Just curious, once a new model is released do you have a gut feeling that it will end up being quite a rare pair. Im currently looking at my next pair being the Frogskin Camo and wondered if they too would end up quite rare

Unfortunately, unlike most special edition frogskins, the Jupiter Camo ones are not limited to 3,000 in production. They are more limited than the basic color ones released over the past fee months (starting at $90, not $110), but are somewhere around 10,000 units. They are NOT as rare as others...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Unfortunately, unlike most special edition frogskins, the Jupiter Camo ones are not limited to 3,000 in production. They are more limited than the basic color ones released over the past fee months (starting at $90, not $110), but are somewhere around 10,000 units. They are NOT as rare as others...

I thought I read somewhere that the production number was 5,000 on the Jupiter Camos but either way you're right in that 'Limited Edition' does not mean rare or limited numbers in this instance. Oakley are pretty loose with the terms 'Limited Edition' and 'Collectors Edition'. Limited Edition means only available for a set time period but not a limited production number. Collectors Edition again doesn't mean limited production numbers but is supposed to mean that once they've all sold that colourway won't be produced again. However, this is not true as colourways have been re-released despite being tagged as Collectors Edition.

So, while Jupiter Camos aren't rare in terms of production numbers, they did sell out pretty much and are very popular. In addition to that, they are very unique for many reasons, frame colour, lens etching, microbag and the only Frogskins that come in a limited edition box design.

jk-27 said:
I thought I read somewhere that the production number was 5,000 on the Jupiter Camos but either way you're right in that 'Limited Edition' does not mare rare or limited numbers in this instance. Oakley are pretty loose with the terms 'Limited Edition' and 'Collectors Edition'. Limited Edition means only available for a set time period but not a limited production number. Collectors Edition again doesn't mean limited production numbers but is supposed to mean that once they've all sold that colourway won't be produced again. However, this is not true as colourways have been re-released despite being tagged as Collectors Edition.

So, while Jupiter Camos aren't rare in terms of production numbers, they did sell out pretty much and are very popular. In addition to that, they are very unique for many reasons, frame colour, lens etching, microbag and the only Frogskins that come in a limited edition box design.

They may have sold out online, but there are limited quantities for the site. I was in Arizona Mills vault, and they still have the whole collection!

Gutted found some here for like £65 a pair, ordered 2 pairs only to find out they sold the last pair the day before in the store

the jupiter camo is beautiful and will remain of interest, but is so far down the ladder of frogskin rarity that it is unlikely to become a massive investment. the 'gut feeling' for a rare pair is often when a seemingly normal issue 'suddenly disappears'. for instance, i saw the split jacket-pol black-oo blue polarized OO9099-08 on the oakley site for just days then 'gone'. ive only seen 3 pairs from the same ebay seller (from where i got mine) and no other stockist. i am sure it is ultra rare. i can only imagine it was withdrawn. other items of similar short lived availability include the brown-VR28 black juliet, VR50 emerald why 3, or warden-olive-grey (trigger) stretchline. its easy to think of specific limited or special editions because they are obvious but rarities come from many different paths.

the jupiter camo is beautiful and will remain of interest, but is so far down the ladder of frogskin rarity that it is unlikely to become a massive investment. the 'gut feeling' for a rare pair is often when a seemingly normal issue 'suddenly disappears'. for instance, i saw the split jacket-pol black-oo blue polarized OO9099-08 on the oakley site for just days then 'gone'. ive only seen 3 pairs from the same ebay seller (from where i got mine) and no other stockist. i am sure it is ultra rare. i can only imagine it was withdrawn. other items of similar short lived availability include the brown-VR28 black juliet, VR50 emerald why 3, or warden-olive-grey (trigger) stretchline. its easy to think of specific limited or special editions because they are obvious but rarities come from many different paths.

i think you can add the FMJ Chrome Fast Jacket to that list as well. =) but back to topic, JK got it right, abt the vagueness of "limited edition" as a term to Oakley.

Latest Posts

Back