• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"limted Edition...."

jonoyong

Inside Outlaw.
Premium Member
Singapore
so, with the whole commotion with regards to the Jupiter Camo being re-released..(i admit, i could be the only being bummed out..)..i posed the question to Oakley via their FB page:

"hey Oakley, would to just clarify, what consist of a "limited edition" release nowadays? the Jupiter Camo frogskins were marketed as such, promptly sold out months ago, and now they are re-released? is there a fixed number to "limited edition" releases? just curious.."

and after 6 days...

"@Jono Yong: Sorry for the delay in reply. Was awaiting confirmation from our product team. The Jupiter Camo products are being released for a limited amount of time rather than in a limited number. Because of the supply and demand for the product, there are period of times within the 6 month period where it shows the product as being unavailable. Hope this helps!"

so what do you guys think? from now on, can we take it as any "limited edition" product would be for a 6 month period as stated? and unless stated that a particular release is gonna be for limited pairs eg: Troy Lee Love/Hate Fuel Cell (1500) or Collectors Frogskins (3000) in the product description etc..any "limited edition" releases would be for a certain time frame? anyone care to weigh in their opinions?

p/s: puts to rest the debate of the Jupiter Camo being a 3000 release or a 5000 release huh..

What they meant to say 'Basically Jono, if we can make more money then we will, regardless of the fact that the customer thinks it's limited to 3000 or 5. Hope that helps'
No more Frogs from Oakley for me unless they're at trade, come to think of it I've never bought direct from Oakley. It's £6 to deliver one pair! I'm tight as hell!

It's hard to tell what's going on anymore. Oakley used to say in their own marketing materials that no Frogskins run exceeds 3,000 pairs. And now they have 'Collectors Edition' and 'Limited Edition' but the 'Collectors Edition' states that they are available for a limited time only, and now this says that's the same for the 'Limited Edition' too? It's confusing as hell! I can't see any difference between the 'Collectors Edition' & 'Limited Edition' anymore, I think it's all marketing BS.

What they meant to say 'Basically Jono, if we can make more money then we will, regardless of the fact that the customer thinks it's limited to 3000 or 5. Hope that helps'
No more Frogs from Oakley for me unless they're at trade, come to think of it I've never bought direct from Oakley. It's £6 to deliver one pair! I'm tight as hell!

Not anymore, it's free delivery in the UK these days, although you can still buy them cheaper from Oakley dealers rather than Oakley direct.

I wonder what impact this will have on secondary (ebay/forum) prices of all new frogs going forward?

Probably not much, the Blacklight collection are selling for above retail value already (probably to overseas markets where Oakley's aren't as easy to get hold of).

Unless they serialize each pair, how are you REALLY going to know how many pairs are out there? It's not like everyone who owns a pair of a particular frame is going to come together and make an official count. Even if we tried to do that here, we have just over a 1,000 members on this forum, so a "Limited" release of 3000 isn't going to work for us.

I agree with eltb99. As long as Oakley/Luxxotica can make money, they will. What retail business out there do you know that doesn't do it for capital gain?

Unless they serialize each pair, how are you REALLY going to know how many pairs are out there? It's not like everyone who owns a pair of a particular frame is going to come together and make an official count. Even if we tried to do that here, we have just over a 1,000 members on this forum, so a "Limited" release of 3000 isn't going to work for us.

I agree with eltb99. As long as Oakley/Luxxotica can make money, they will. What retail business out there do you know that doesn't do it for capital gain?

What about those pairs that now run $1500 on eBay because very very few exist? $500? $300? I think the value of some of these depends on the original production run, which these days has become quite fuzzy. Yes I know this only affects the collector ~ "Doesn't affect bottom line sales for the company." I'd really like a re-production of the turqouise color which right now seems to be a $500 pair.

I haven't been around long enough I suppose, but has Oakley pulled something like this in the past? Will this be the future from here on out under Luxotica?

like i wrote in before
MONEY MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND
and lux want´s more more more....

Back