• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking for 17 inch laptop backpack, Oakley Kitchen Sink or Targus Drifter?

If you were less aggressive, you might get more help. You're looking to choose between two bags for your laptop and asked for direct comparison. However, a buyer will have done what you are doing and selected one, rather than buying both. Unsurprisingly, on an Oakley forum, they opted for Oakley and praised the quality, yet that for you was not a valid opinion.

Someone gave their personal exposure to a brand and stated some dissatisfaction with it, but that wasn't adequate because it's not the model you are looking at. And didn't tally with the online reviews you have read.

Honestly, people here are going to be predisposed towards Oakley unless they have a bad experience with a particular product. You might be better off asking elsewhere. You will be definitely better off responding politely and being more specific if a given response didn't quite meet what (you thought) you were asking for.

If you were less aggressive, you might get more help. You're looking to choose between two bags for your laptop and asked for direct comparison. However, a buyer will have done what you are doing and selected one, rather than buying both. Unsurprisingly, on an Oakley forum, they opted for Oakley and praised the quality, yet that for you was not a valid opinion.

Someone gave their personal exposure to a brand and stated some dissatisfaction with it, but that wasn't adequate because it's not the model you are looking at. And didn't tally with the online reviews you have read.

Honestly, people here are going to be predisposed towards Oakley unless they have a bad experience with a particular product. You might be better off asking elsewhere. You will be definitely better off responding politely and being more specific if a given response didn't quite meet what (you thought) you were asking for.
How dare you .....

... tell him how some of us really feel!

:D

As was stated earlier, if you could describe what your specific need / use of a backpack, which qualities / features you're looking for, we could better respond.

I have not used a Targus, but I currently use a KS as a laptop bag. It replaced a SwissGear that had worn out.

The SwissGear was a great backpack - plenty of internal organization, special airport "security friendly" feature. And for daily use, enough capacity. But when I traveled, there were times I just didn't have enough capacity; it'd max out. And then the main shoulder strap wore out.

With the KS, I have two main criticisms - one, it's pretty heavy. Two, it lacks much in the way of internal organization - the main storage compartment is really just one giant area, no internal pockets, etc. That space is shared with a divided compartment accessed from the bottom. If I wasn't an Oakley aficionado and my primary need was a laptop backpack to take back and forth from the office, with little other capacity needs, I would probably choose something lighter with more internal organization.

But, though I'd like more internal organization, I can make do with what it has. And for travel, I have yet to come close to running out of capacity, no matter how much extra crap I pick up along the way. The construction is also very sturdy.

Then there's the aesthetics - it's definitely an eye catcher, and you're unlikely to run into someone else carrying the same backpack (something that happened quite frequently with the SwissGear; I kept being afraid somebody would grab mine by mistake while deplaning...) I've received way more compliments and comments about the KS than any other backpack I've ever had.

One other detail - the side zipper access for the laptop: Though there is capacity for a 17", my work laptop is a 15". And sometimes, when taking it out / putting it in, the laptop will snag a bit on the clamshell top. Not really a problem for me, but it might be more of one with a 17".

So you never used an Everki Titan before and making an objective judgement on the brand used on a cheaper single pouch bag?

That's like judging all other Samsung products based on their one of their MP3 players. Or all Toyota based on their Yaris series. Unless you actually have used Everti Titan before, you can not be objective.

Now return to the land of impartiality and reason. And look at the reviews from people who actually used the bags in question.

The Titan has 88% of 216 reviews gave 5 stars on Amazon, if you search the keyword "quality" in the reviews, every single one praised the build quality.

Targus Drifter II had only 63% 5 stars, main complaint is the strap build quality.

Oakley Kitchen Sink had 74% 5 stars, main complaint is the bag is small, inconvenient (which I kinda understand because Oakley always put form over function, eg hooks instead of zippers) and expensive.

Now I'm in Australia, Titan would cost $124 AUD on ebay, Drifter II is $104AUD imported from Amazon because it's not sold here, and Kitchen Sink is $249 from store (not counting private sales because lack of warranty)

Drifter II therefore is eliminated before the bad reviews and not much cheaper than the Titan. Titan is much cheaper than the Sink and much better reviews in both quality and functionality.
Using single line stitching and thin nylon for the interior might please some people, but I regularly buy Cordura 1000 with box stitching bags from brands like Hazard 4, Maxpedition, etc. They put the Everki bag to shame.

If my $35 single compartment is indicative of the brand, then I wouldn't buy their $100 bags when another brand is available and priced similarly.

The saving grace is the warranty, but for a bag I use monthly to move a laptop from work to home I will likely need the warranty within a year.

Dell Black 17.3" Alienware Orion ScanFast Checkpoint Friendly Backpack Model ME-AWBP2.0

i have the 18. i find it strong enough and alot of compartments to hold my 18Lb. laptop.

good luck.

So you never used an Everki Titan before and making an objective judgement on the brand used on a cheaper single pouch bag?

That's like judging all other Samsung products based on their one of their MP3 players. Or all Toyota based on their Yaris series. Unless you actually have used Everti Titan before, you can not be objective.

Now return to the land of impartiality and reason. And look at the reviews from people who actually used the bags in question.

The Titan has 88% of 216 reviews gave 5 stars on Amazon, if you search the keyword "quality" in the reviews, every single one praised the build quality.

Targus Drifter II had only 63% 5 stars, main complaint is the strap build quality.

Oakley Kitchen Sink had 74% 5 stars, main complaint is the bag is small, inconvenient (which I kinda understand because Oakley always put form over function, eg hooks instead of zippers) and expensive.

Now I'm in Australia, Titan would cost $124 AUD on ebay, Drifter II is $104AUD imported from Amazon because it's not sold here, and Kitchen Sink is $249 from store (not counting private sales because lack of warranty)

Drifter II therefore is eliminated before the bad reviews and not much cheaper than the Titan. Titan is much cheaper than the Sink and much better reviews in both quality and functionality.

WOW AGAIN!!! :behindsofa: Apparently no opinion is welcome...unless it aligns with his own. :(

Back