• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking For My First Pair Of Metal Frames

There are a LOT of pairs in Oakley's catalog with metal frames. O-luminum is a thicker frame style made of aluminum. C5 is the current go-to for metal frames. They've used a mixture of other metals for the bulk of their wire frames.

In my opinion the best of the metal stuff is the titanium wire frames. I've owned most of the X Metal pairs and I found them heavy, unconforming, expensive, and none really lived up to the hype for me. Damn they look cool though. I have a titanium framed Crosshair and I wear it a lot. It's light, has good flex, good coverage, overall a great wire frame pair.

But as I said, there's a huge range of metal framed glasses. Magnesium is another with a few badass pairs. The classic 90's letter wires (A-, C-, E-, T-Wires) are also a great place to start. And some more modern pairs in similar styles like the Whisker, Blender, and a bunch more. There's also the big Inmate, it's smaller version the Felon, the more aggressive Warden, the shield Probation, original Crosshair and Crosshair S. Newer aviators like the Deviation, Plaintiff, Plaintiff Squared. Half wires. The funky Jordan collaboration OO wire series. Nanowires. Why frames.

I'm sure I've missed some. Or really, a lot.
I tend to categorize them separately in my head; X-Metals, O-luminium, Mags. & Wires. They're all different with their own different functions/appeal. Not too informed myself when it comes to wires as I've only ever owned Spike's, Whiskers, Nanowire's, Why 8.1's, Deviation's & Plaintiff Squared's. But @Bubba, anything else I'll happily chime in my 2 cents. Oh and if REALLY lightweight is the direction you want, then wires is where you should start. Some of those are the lightest.

I'm curious - what are your go to O Matter frames? That might help us suggest something that may suit your overall style that falls under the metal umbrella. Oh and yup xmetals are pretty darn cool!

My go to pair of O matter frames for the past 6 months maybe have been the BREADBOX, they have been my everyday pair because they were fairly cheap and they are all black..me being a mechanic, I get greasy all day and when I get in the car to go home I throw these shades on and you don't see any grease marks on the matte black. Just recently fell in love with jupiters and have JFLs on the way to me now! Picked up a pair of jupiter squared last Saturday and they have now become my daily pair

Thanks for all of the great information...this opens a whole not her realm for sunglasses for me, definitely have my research cut out for me! There is a member on here selling Crosshair 2.0 for what seems to be a good price, I like the look and may pick them up if money permits...but that will be just to get me started, that way I can wear metal frames while researching them to really get me in the zone!!

Thanks for all of the great information...this opens a whole not her realm for sunglasses for me, definitely have my research cut out for me! There is a member on here selling Crosshair 2.0 for what seems to be a good price, I like the look and may pick them up if money permits...but that will be just to get me started, that way I can wear metal frames while researching them to really get me in the zone!!
Best of luck....and commiserations to your bank balance/wallet as you get collecting :p.

Best of luck....and commiserations to your bank balance/wallet as you get collecting :p.

I have been a fan of Oakley for a long time, just never got into seriously collecting until....well now haha. I told my fiancé just a week ago that I will calm down on the oakleys...this was right after my first Oakley watch purchase, since I told her that I have purchased one jupiter squared and also JFLs! And I really want to snag the Crosshair 2.0s on here as my first metal frames. I also really want a display case very badly...not looking good for my cutting back haha

I have been a fan of Oakley for a long time, just never got into seriously collecting until....well now haha. I told my fiancé just a week ago that I will calm down on the oakleys...this was right after my first Oakley watch purchase, since I told her that I have purchased one jupiter squared and also JFLs! And I really want to snag the Crosshair 2.0s on here as my first metal frames. I also really want a display case very badly...not looking good for my cutting back haha
The obsession gets us all eventually :).
Glad I'm not the only one that has to justify to the missus a purchase of "Oh no, not ANOTHER pair of sunglasses!!!:mad:".

She has, I would say, over 100 pairs of stilettos right now and that's after getting rid of a sh¡t ton of them! So I can have my eye ware, and wrist ware, and you know..wallets and bags and goggles and....definitely a display case sooner than later :D

Back