• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking For New Glasses: Like VR28, Polarized, Light, Good For Car Driving

tobbi_KLEIN

Oakley Beginner
Hello,

I am looking for a new pair of sunglasses for alround purposes. Maybe you could help me.

The glass color I like most is VR28, because the contrast ist just amazing, and you could still wear it when the sun goes down in low light.
However, I am missing the polarized-feature. According to the o-review list, the polarized VR28 glasses are much darker than the pure VR28. Is that correct?

What lens color do you suggest?

The purpose for the glasses should be mainly car driving and outdoor activities. I prefer a light and robust frame.

What do you suggest?

Thank you very much for your help.

The best way to find a pair of glasses that you're going to wear all the time is to go to a store and try on multiple pairs. They also have plenty of lens options that you can try.

VR 28 is 28% light tranmission, VR28 Polarized is 16%, VR28 Black Iridium is 18% and VR28 Black Iridium polarized is 10%.

If you want the most light transmission while still having contrast the closest would likely be Amber Polarized at 30%. However, VR28 polarized is an option at 16%.

I personally would venture to say if you enjoy a medium-lhigh light transmission then Polarization won't really be a necessity. I have a few unpolarized pairs I save for days that aren't as bright and I've have never had issues. Maybe I am strange though as I keep my Black Iridium Polarized (9%) on until it goes dark at work without issue lol.

Edit- I was also unable to find amber polarized in any colorways online. The only standard option is an M Frame Strike lense or maybe customs. I know a lot of people enjoy Bronze Polarized so check those out too.

Here's a link for all the Oakley Tints and their tester;
http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints

There is also an Oakley App for smartphones which lets you look at the different lense tints.

I personally will buy up anything that comes in Ruby or Jade Polarized (SGH Exclusive). I love the base tint and they allow a decent light transmission as well (don't know the percent).

If you want something darker on the outside and less flashy than Ruby maybe Grey Polarized?

Hello,

I am looking for a new pair of sunglasses for alround purposes. Maybe you could help me.

The glass color I like most is VR28, because the contrast ist just amazing, and you could still wear it when the sun goes down in low light.
However, I am missing the polarized-feature. According to the o-review list, the polarized VR28 glasses are much darker than the pure VR28. Is that correct?

What lens color do you suggest?

The purpose for the glasses should be mainly car driving and outdoor activities. I prefer a light and robust frame.

What do you suggest?

Thank you very much for your help.

I use vr28 black iridium polarized quite a lot because they are pleasing to my eyes. They have a low light transmission at 10% but the contrast is awesome so they work good in cloudy conditions still.

I would get the polished black Racing Jacket. I use these for driving in all conditions because it comes with black iridium as well as p42 iridium. Amber is NOT to be used for driving. It inhibits traffic signal recognition.

Have you tried the G series of lenses? If you like VR28, you'll probably like G30. Similar lens, but everything has a rosey pinkish tint, vs the yellow tint on VR28. I personally think G30 provides even better contrast in comparisson to VR28. None of the G lenses are offered in Polarized veriants though, as far as I know.

I would get the polished black Racing Jacket. I use these for driving in all conditions because it comes with black iridium as well as p42 iridium. Amber is NOT to be used for driving. It inhibits traffic signal recognition.

Learn something new everyday! Thanks, I was just going off light transmission. Guess the contrast would have to be correct for driving though!

Back