• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking to get back into a pair of Oakley's

Doctorsti

Oakley Beginner
I am looking to get a nice pair of sunglasses again and growing tired of wearing my 1995 vintage RayBan Aviators. I had 2 pairs of Oakley's in the early 2000's, the original square wire and then the square wire 2.0 that followed it.

I'm looking at the Jupiter factory light this time around and in general shy away from the plastic framed Oakley's preferring the metal versions. Always wanted a pair of the Romeo's or Juliet's when they first came out and not sure if I should just step right up to the X-Squared.

my wish list would be the photochromatic lenses on a higher end metal framed Oakley. Any suggestions from the enthusiasts would be appreciated.

One question I have about both the x-squared and the jupiter factory lite would be how easy is the black coating on the metal to scratch or rub off. I recall my original square wires were just the raw metal finish but the 2.0's I had were black colored. They were lost after only a year or two of use whereas the original square wires (with the flat metal legs) were worn pretty roughly for 5-6 years before I stepped on them by accident.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Factory Lights. One of the more comfortable and snug fitting frames I have worn in a while. The black on both is the actual metal color and I do not think would wear off. As far as the X-Squared, they were discontinued and if they're in store, they may not be for long.

With either pair you know you're getting the best and safest pair of glasses on the market and I think your final decision will come down to personal preference for fit and feel. Two great choices, I wish you luck.

I say go with the Juliet. Perfect classic X Metal frame. Many lenses combo available still too if you need to replace them.

I picked up a pair of x-squared on EBay as they are out of stock on Oakley.com. I will also check my local shops to maybe pick up a second set just to have backup. Can't wait to get them.

I picked up a pair of x-squared on EBay as they are out of stock on Oakley.com. I will also check my local shops to maybe pick up a second set just to have backup. Can't wait to get them.

The XS is a fantastic pair to own. Which color combo did you get?

Love my X-Squared! Highly recommend them... I've got 4 pairs now & change up the color combos... I've had Juliets, Pennys & Mars in the X-Metals family and the X-Squared are by far my favorite. Even working on chopping my own lenses for them...

I have factory lites and a good drop to asphalt will indeed scratch or ding the frame. the black is definitely a coating over raw aluminum and silver will show through. if you are rough with your glasses you may want to look at alternatives. that said I love mt jfls.

if you wanna be rough on them grab some juliets or xsquareds. i prefer the juliets classic style. theyre the toughest frames you'll get, near unbreakable if youre not stupid with it (rolled over by a car or similar). i would say it would easily hold up to getting stepped on, but i wont test that out on any of my current pairs. if i had a beater pair i would but i dont lol.

I won a pair of x-squareds on everyone's favorite auction site:rolleyes:

I will post pics when they get here but they had a lens swap so I am looking now to put back in the ice iridium that originally came with them. Does Oakley still sell replacement lenses for this pair?

I may also search a couple local distributors for another pair of the same as a backup as they seem to have dumped this whole product line. That's sad. Just when I get back into them and go for the x-metals that I always wanted they go ahead and axe the whole product.

Back