• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Loose/Floppy Oil Rig Hinges

Lowjoe

Oakley Expert
I just received a new set of Oil Rigs from Glasses.com. The hinges are very loose and the earstems have a lot of play in them compared to my Max Fear Fuel Cells. It makes them feel kind of cheap. Is this normal? Is it because my Fuel Cells are older and made in the USA? Just wondering if this is normal or if I got a lemon. Thanks for the help.

Could be many factors. Perhaps that pair was a return or it went through quality control from Oakley and shouldn't have.... If you are unhappy w the "play" it will probably only get worse.
Usually the stems on the oil rigs and most styles "pop" open as I'm sure your Max Fear did....

I would suggest contacting Glasses.com, I'm sure they would make it right for you

They do pop open, but wiggle a little even after opening, where my Fuel Cells seem locked, if that makes sense. I'm just wondering if this normal for oil rigs, I know all Glasses are different. No need to return them if this is normal.

It's common with oil rigs to be a little loose
OK, thats what I thought, because both earpieces are equally loose. If any other Rig owners want to chime in that would be great. The earpieces aren't that loose when open, but when they are closed they have a good half inch of play in them.

OK, thats what I thought, because both earpieces are equally loose. If any other Rig owners want to chime in that would be great. The earpieces aren't that loose when open, but when they are closed they have a good half inch of play in them.
No Oil Rigs I have owned have ever been loose brand new

Pretty much comes down to A. Are they wearable, and if so, does it seem like they will stay that way after repeated use, and B. How much does it bother you?

Latest Posts

Back