• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Loose Juliet bridge after 2 days

JCFondeur

Oakley Beginner
Greetings forum.

Iast Friday I bought a pair of Juliet from a store, brand new, after two days using it I noticed that the right side of the bridge is already loose, when I put them on, I noticed also that the gap in the right side ois increased, not extremely noticeable but if you look closer you will notece it.

Does it happens because my head is bigger than usual for the Juliet? Is there any chance that they become more and more loose?

Thanks

They will inevitably become more loose over time. One of the forum sponsors (X-Man) does the fix for this problem. He did a great job on my X-Metal XX's. And I'll be sending him many more in the future.

Does it happens because my head is bigger than usual for the Juliet?
Probably not - most likely they were assembled years ago and the rubber in the flex coupler starts to weaken and deteriorate. This can happen over time sitting in the box never worn - more so in certain environmental conditions. I have had multiple pairs do this - BNIB and loose after just a wearing or three. [and I do not have a 'big head']. If you ever get a pair like this apart you can run the fading rubber through your fingertips and see it crumble.

Is there any chance that they become more and more loose?
They may...

I noticed also that the gap in the right side ois increased
This is also likely because that rubber in the flex coupler has worn away.

You can try to minimize further damage by adjusting the way you wear them, put them on over your head like goggles as previously mentioned, but it will not help as much as it does with Romeo 1's, for which the 'goggle technique' is critical to the longevity of the lenses. This should not matter as much on a Juliet with a good flex coupler.

Considering the above be careful that whoever tightens these for you does not over-tighten them as they can become less comfortable to wear, with a more rigid fit that defeats the purpose of the flex coupler. If you think they are hard to put on loose imagine a pair that won't flex at all... There has already been one member mentioned here who provides such a service, others do too. Oakley may still do this in some cases too, although I cannot personally recommend allowing Oakley to fix anything, ever...

Good luck!

X-man locks them up very tight, although he can make adjustments and make them not super tight if you request it. Send him an email, he has a special this month that tune ups are $50. Usually it's hard for me to wear an xman tune up for the first few days but they break in ever so slightly and become just the perfect fit... Nobody touches my glasses for tune ups other than X-Man! Also, +++++++ one billion for NOT trying to send them back to Oakley.

X-man locks them up very tight, although he can make adjustments and make them not super tight if you request it. Send him an email, he has a special this month that tune ups are $50. Usually it's hard for me to wear an xman tune up for the first few days but they break in ever so slightly and become just the perfect fit... Nobody touches my glasses for tune ups other than X-Man! Also, +++++++ one billion for NOT trying to send them back to Oakley.

Thanks for that info, for me will be difficult to do that, because I am outside the USA, I am in the Dominican Republic. :(

I would like to know why I may not send it to back to Oakley.

Thanks for that info, for me will be difficult to do that, because I am outside the USA, I am in the Dominican Republic. :(

They may (or may not) agree to fix the nose bridge. The only things they have left are the flex coupler rubber, nothing else. Xman ships international, as I'm sure other forum members who do tune ups will as well! Oakley does not care about your glasses, some kid who may or may not have ever even seen a Juliet will be tasked with knocking out the nose pin and replacing the rubber. There are horror stories about this and all sorts of various issues people have had all over the forum. I think Infinite Hero also offers tune up services as well. I've never had a tune up from him but I'm sure he also does a great job. Send your glasses to somebody who cares about them man. Avoid sending back to factory. Xman does require you to pull the lenses out usually. Just an FYI. I recommend you get a Wiha T6 precision driver for any and all Juliet screw manipulation. Has served me very well. If you send back to factory, I also recommend removing the lenses. Wouldn't chance the factory scratching them up!

They may (or may not) agree to fix the nose bridge. The only things they have left are the flex coupler rubber, nothing else. Xman ships international, as I'm sure other forum members who do tune ups will as well! Oakley does not care about your glasses, some kid who may or may not have ever even seen a Juliet will be tasked with knocking out the nose pin and replacing the rubber. There are horror stories about this and all sorts of various issues people have had all over the forum. I think Infinite Hero also offers tune up services as well. I've never had a tune up from him but I'm sure he also does a great job. Send your glasses to somebody who cares about them man. Avoid sending back to factory. Xman does require you to pull the lenses out usually. Just an FYI. I recommend you get a Wiha T6 precision driver for any and all Juliet screw manipulation. Has served me very well. If you send back to factory, I also recommend removing the lenses. Wouldn't chance the factory scratching them up!

From now on I will try them really gentle in order to preserve the good rubber still in the left side, and the rest of the broken rubber in the right side.

Sending overseas will be really a nightmare for me, Price to send a package out the country is really high.
I hope if I treat them nicely they will remain as they are now for year, but I really do not know how bad is this issue with the Juliets.

From now on I will try them really gentle in order to preserve the good rubber still in the left side, and the rest of the broken rubber in the right side.

Sending overseas will be really a nightmare for me, Price to send a package out the country is really high.
I hope if I treat them nicely they will remain as they are now for year, but I really do not know how bad is this issue with the Juliets.
It can get really REALLY bad... They will eventually flop like a limp fish and be super mobile. Hopefully the rubbers aren't too far gone and will last with gentle usage! I definitely don't recommend trying to change them yourself unless you had no other options...

My Top 10 reasons not to send anything back to Oakley [other than a return]:

1. Oakley does not care about your glasses.
2. Oakley performs limited tuneups with inconsistent results (YMMV).
3. Oakley has been known to scratch lenses and frames. I have personally received both scratched lenses and frames - even large nicks in the frame that could only have been caused by gross mishandling.
4. The level of care given by the individual servicing your glasses at Oakley may not be inline with most Customer expectations for 'quality'. This point reinforces the previous two, but on an individual level. This lack of care and attention to detail may also include suboptimal communication about issues resulting in finger pointing, he'said-she'said, and contributing to a poor overall Customer experience.
5. The department that performs the actual tuneup service is almost an hour away from HQ at the time of this post, significantly longer in traffic, with far less oversight [read: Security], which can contribute to other complications [that I have experienced first hand]. Oakley HQ has very little control - or care? about at least some of what goes on there.
6. If you have a problem with the service provided by Oakley - Oakley will not care. In your case it will be your fault that you ever had to tune the Juliets up in the first place. Shame on you for messing them up. Oakley will be happy to have one of their pretentious reps or 'managers' [intentionally spelled with a lower-case 'M'] explain their cultural and intellectual superiority to you.
7. Oakley has 'lost' pairs in their possession before. It has happened to me personally with 2 pairs. If your glasses are lost or stolen on the way to or being returned from Oakley you'd be lucky to get a fraction of the value of your Juliets back.
8. Oakley has randomly substituted warranty pairs for arguably more valuable pairs - like sending back 'W' warranty or blank/OCP pairs in their place with no explanation. This has not happended to me, but has been shared by many others so it deserves mention in my top 10.
9. If something is lost or stolen while in Oakley's possession you have no recourse.
10. There are people who do it better for less.

I'll stop there. <sigh>

Last edited:
Back