• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Loose lens

dl33t3d

Oakley Enthusiast
Oklahoma
Was cleaning my pennys today and noticed one lens (right) is loose. It moves quite a bit. The other is solidly in place. The orbital looks to be tightened all the way. It is loose in all three dimensions including what seems to be the thickness of the lens where it should fit in the slot in the frame. Should I be concerned? Also I think these may need a tuneup. The right orbital seems to move a lot more than the left.

They were made differently than other frames. I have a juliet that has a loose lens as well, no big deal. As for the bridge, if you have to keep pushing the frame closer to your face, it is time for a tuneup.

Yeah the way x-metals were made, there was a little variation and sometimes a lens is a little loose. If it bothers you, you can shim it; you can find info how-to with a search.

I have used a tiny strip of foam tape to slip inside the ridge where the lens sits inside the frame, it stops the rattling. In severe cases you may have to apply the foam tape in different places. Will need a very sharp hobby knife and needle nose tweezers to do this.

There is some natural variation in frame size and some lenses seem to be cut slightly smaller (or larger) from OEM too. If it's really rattly, you can shim them - I did that recently with my Finito Juliets. Cut a thin strip of paper to fit in the orbital channel, replace the lens and the rattling should stop.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess this is why oakley rx told me I would have to send them the frame to make lenses and they cannot replace it if it gets broken

Very interesting, I bought a pair of Penny's and they have exactly the same issue. I wonder if the mould was a little out?

Did yours also have a lot of scratching in the orbs? I guess left from the manual finishing.

Pretty common, I have a pair of Penny's with a similar issue. Mine are too tight on the left side and I couldn't get them to fit right without trimming the lens. It is not uncommon for the bridge to be looser on one side and the right side is usually the one, I'm thinking people taking off the their glasses with their dominant hand?

Just had a look at mine and took a photo:

UbrJs6.jpg

I had forgotten how small these sunglasses are.

Back