1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. dl33t3d

dl33t3d Oakley Beginner

Was cleaning my pennys today and noticed one lens (right) is loose. It moves quite a bit. The other is solidly in place. The orbital looks to be tightened all the way. It is loose in all three dimensions including what seems to be the thickness of the lens where it should fit in the slot in the frame. Should I be concerned? Also I think these may need a tuneup. The right orbital seems to move a lot more than the left.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

They were made differently than other frames. I have a juliet that has a loose lens as well, no big deal. As for the bridge, if you have to keep pushing the frame closer to your face, it is time for a tuneup.

3. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Yeah the way x-metals were made, there was a little variation and sometimes a lens is a little loose. If it bothers you, you can shim it; you can find info how-to with a search.

4. Fusion_m8

Fusion_m8 Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

I have used a tiny strip of foam tape to slip inside the ridge where the lens sits inside the frame, it stops the rattling. In severe cases you may have to apply the foam tape in different places. Will need a very sharp hobby knife and needle nose tweezers to do this.

5. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

There is some natural variation in frame size and some lenses seem to be cut slightly smaller (or larger) from OEM too. If it's really rattly, you can shim them - I did that recently with my Finito Juliets. Cut a thin strip of paper to fit in the orbital channel, replace the lens and the rattling should stop.

6. dl33t3d

dl33t3d Oakley Beginner

Thanks for the help guys. I guess this is why oakley rx told me I would have to send them the frame to make lenses and they cannot replace it if it gets broken

7. XMetalAddict

XMetalAddict Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member Lifetime Member

Very interesting, I bought a pair of Penny's and they have exactly the same issue. I wonder if the mould was a little out?

Did yours also have a lot of scratching in the orbs? I guess left from the manual finishing.

8. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

They used a casting method called lost wax, where the mold is destroyed with every batch and has to be remade. That introduces minor variances.

9. BHarry

BHarry The Eclectic Collector

Pretty common, I have a pair of Penny's with a similar issue. Mine are too tight on the left side and I couldn't get them to fit right without trimming the lens. It is not uncommon for the bridge to be looser on one side and the right side is usually the one, I'm thinking people taking off the their glasses with their dominant hand?

10. XMetalAddict

XMetalAddict Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member Lifetime Member

Just had a look at mine and took a photo:

Loose lens - UbrJs6.jpg
    I had forgotten how small these sunglasses are.