• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I figure I'd ask in this thread directly, because no one in my other thread seemed to have used the M Frame Alpha.

How is the venting design on the M Frame Alpha?

I was thinking about using it for cycling and running year-round. The only M Frames that don't fog up on me or have venting issues is the Hybrid S lens on the old 1999 M Frame design (I bought these around 2006 or 2008 from OakleySI). I've got the M Frames 2.0, 3.0, Radar EV Path, and EV Zero - I've encountered fogging on all of them at one point or another. When cycling at 20-25 mph in the heat, the Radar EV Path is good but I still feel a lot of heat on my face behind the lens.

Is the extra weight on the M Frame Alpha noticeable? I find anything more than 33 grams gives me a headache due to the pressure on my nose bridge.

I figure I'd ask in this thread directly, because no one in my other thread seemed to have used the M Frame Alpha.

How is the venting design on the M Frame Alpha?

I was thinking about using it for cycling and running year-round. The only M Frames that don't fog up on me or have venting issues is the Hybrid S lens on the old 1999 M Frame design (I bought these around 2006 or 2008 from OakleySI). I've got the M Frames 2.0, 3.0, Radar EV Path, and EV Zero - I've encountered fogging on all of them at one point or another. When cycling at 20-25 mph in the heat, the Radar EV Path is good but I still feel a lot of heat on my face behind the lens.

Is the extra weight on the M Frame Alpha noticeable? I find anything more than 33 grams gives me a headache due to the pressure on my nose bridge.
In my opinion, Radar EVs are the best for running and cycling, I have uranium framed with Prizm Road lens. The venting is brilliant as well. Aesthetically, the shape is similar to the alpha as well, but with a heightened top, across the whole frame top, not only in the middle for vision when in aero positions. I don’t know why you would use this unless you’re in the military. For shooting and tactical applications, alpha is great, but expensive, radar ev is cheaper. I think the venting on the ev is better, but anyways
Cheers

John, the Radar EV Path is more expensive than the M Frame Alphas. Not by a whole lot. The ballistic line and APEL eyewear is less expensive than the retail line. I use ESS's stuff for the range all the time because they are half the price of Oakleys so if I scratch a lens or something, it's less than $30 to replace the lens.

I have the M Frame 3.0 with Agro and Hybrid lenses. I had to re-read Rustpot's review and saw that the Alpha has the same profile lens as the Agro, so I tried the Agro again and remember how much I hated the profile as the lower part of the lens cuts into my cheeks. I'm going to skip the M Frame Alphas. I did find the vented M Frame 3.0 Hybrid lens, so I'll try that out for running and cycling. It has more vent holes, so I will just try it out and see how it feels. I know the Hybrid profile is fine for me, although I much prefer the Hybrid S that Oakley no longer seems to sell/carry. If the vented Hybrid M frame 3.0 lens is no good, I'll just go back to the Radar EV Path.

Protection levels are something else I'm putting into consideration. The Radar EV and other normal Oakleys (Flak, Flak 2.0, etc...) aren't certified to Z87 or Z87+, which itself is fairly weak compared to the MIL-PRF-32432 blast testing for Class I glasses. Z87 uses a BB pellet, while the MIL-PRF uses a FSP blast fragmentation test pellet at a kinetic energy about 6-7 times greater than Z87+. I know Oakley claims their regular glasses are tested to Z87 equivalent standards, but they don't even carry the Z87 stamping on the frame or lens. The MIL-PRF almost requires a 2.2mm thick lens, something that normal Oakleys don't have and you can tell because they are ultra light weight.

John, the Radar EV Path is more expensive than the M Frame Alphas. Not by a whole lot. The ballistic line and APEL eyewear is less expensive than the retail line. I use ESS's stuff for the range all the time because they are half the price of Oakleys so if I scratch a lens or something, it's less than $30 to replace the lens.

I have the M Frame 3.0 with Agro and Hybrid lenses. I had to re-read Rustpot's review and saw that the Alpha has the same profile lens as the Agro, so I tried the Agro again and remember how much I hated the profile as the lower part of the lens cuts into my cheeks. I'm going to skip the M Frame Alphas. I did find the vented M Frame 3.0 Hybrid lens, so I'll try that out for running and cycling. It has more vent holes, so I will just try it out and see how it feels. I know the Hybrid profile is fine for me, although I much prefer the Hybrid S that Oakley no longer seems to sell/carry. If the vented Hybrid M frame 3.0 lens is no good, I'll just go back to the Radar EV Path.

Protection levels are something else I'm putting into consideration. The Radar EV and other normal Oakleys (Flak, Flak 2.0, etc...) aren't certified to Z87 or Z87+, which itself is fairly weak compared to the MIL-PRF-32432 blast testing for Class I glasses. Z87 uses a BB pellet, while the MIL-PRF uses a FSP blast fragmentation test pellet at a kinetic energy about 6-7 times greater than Z87+. I know Oakley claims their regular glasses are tested to Z87 equivalent standards, but they don't even carry the Z87 stamping on the frame or lens. The MIL-PRF almost requires a 2.2mm thick lens, something that normal Oakleys don't have and you can tell because they are ultra light weight.
Depends whether you get the strongbox or just the glasses and also where you get them from......
I do triathlons, and use the EVs without any problem, so that’s my recommendation

Not the strong box , just the single pair. Less expensive than Radar EV path from oakleysi. I will try the vented m frame 3.0 hybrid first. The radar ev has worked for me but can still be too hot in the summer.

Latest Posts

Back