• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M Frame Help... Anyone Well Versed In M?

Eckstream1

Addicted to O
Reading, Pa
I just scored some M Frames off Craigslist...

Strike lens
utf-8BSU1BRzEyMzUuanBn.jpg

Edit: It looks like this is a strike lens...
utf-8BSU1BRzEyMzYuanBn.jpg

Edit: It looks like this is a Sweep lens...
utf-8BSU1BRzEyMzcuanBn.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!

i dont think theyre gen 1, i thought the gen 1's had "oakley" spelled out instead of the "O". i could be wrong, but im pretty sure they didnt make a carbon fiber gen 1 frame.

Turns out they did make a carbon frame for the 1st gen M... But mine are 2nd gen.

Yes those are gen 2s. The first 2 look to have strike lenses, and the last one looks like a sweep to me.

Cool... Thanks!

I did a TON of digging on O-Review and found some stuff I didn't know... :cool:

Don't know if you figured it out, but Gen1/Gen2 are the same frame shape with subtle hinge and stem differences, with the main difference being the Gen1 has "Oakley" written out, where Gen2 has the raised Icon molded into the stems.

There are a grand total of... 10 retail M Frame lens sizes I think? I can name (in approximate decreasing size)

Slash
Heater
Strike
New Hybrid (just called Hybrid now)
Sweep
Hybrid (original)
Hybrid S
V
Strip

Current 5:
oak_mframe_lens_08_f.gif

Strip is a tiny little lens that goes straight from the frame hook to the nose bridge.

V
4919316968_158a31b683_z.jpg

3193869787_a0819209a6.jpg

Hybrid Gen1 (in gen3 frame)- Which is an absolutely KILLER shape. I would LOVE if they made the Heater more like this with the full side coverage.
5165897819_8d639b636f.jpg

Slash - basically a Heater with a taller brow for room for the vents, vented nose, and a special frame with a sweat strip and strap.
3579653568_bba1e054db.jpg

Gen 1 had the classic logo spelled out and a thinner hinge. The Gen to not only changed the logo but beefed up the frame to increase the strength. Additionally the ear stems on the Gen 1 ended at the ear sock, while the Gen 2's extended past the sock about a half inch. Interestingly enough the M Frame slash strap required there to be a certain length stem, so when that little bit was added, they had to clip the excess off on the Gen 2 Slash's.

Rustspot is correct on the lens shapes. Here's a pic of the original lens shapes but missing the Strip.

2210357895_05af6615b7_b.jpg

Left to Right: 67, V, Hybrid, Sweep, Strike, Heater, Slash

Oakley first introduced the Mumbo with the 67, V and Hybrid lenses. In 1991, this was expanded to some of the shapes that are more familiar today. The Strip was added, but not for long. Sweep and Heater joined the lineup and Strike and Slash were promised to be coming soon.

Two years later the lenses were boiled down to the four that we see today. Slash was still around, but was unique and more than just a different lens. Strike, Sweep, Heater and Hybrid became the lineup that still exist today, and even into the Radars although under different names. By 1996, the frames changed to the Elliptical Icon, but the lenses remained the same until a few years later when the Hybrid, which was a 'hybrid' of the 67 and V both not existing for six years, became a hybrid of Heater and Strike and thus relabeled New Hybrid. The Pro M Frame, molded from a more curved model, was also released and while posessing the new and old hybrid lenses, formed the basis for the New M Frame. A small version of the Hybid also came out in 1999.

When the Radars came out, the lenses needed to be contoured to fit the frame. While the outside edges were essentially the same, using the same names would infer that they could be swapped. Before they were released, they did use the old naming convention with Heater becoming Range, Strike becoming Path, and New Hybrid becoming Pitch. Based on SKU's Path and Pitch were soon after swapped and then the names stayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for coming through Dann!
That just about covers everything... LOL

I'd love to get my hands on some 67 and Hybrid lenses in +Red... But I think I have my work cut out for me :laugh:
Seems like all the old M stuff is long gone...

Most of what I have, I got from a collector who wanted them to go to a good home, rather than to the highest bidder. The old stuff is fun though.

I just inherited a set of gen1 m frames with strike lenses fingerprint frame with +red iridium lenses. The lenses have 3 minor scratches on them and the frames are n perfect condition. I need to sell them but I have no idea what they are worth any help would b awesome. Ill try to post some pics later tonight when I get home if I can.

Back