• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M Frame Strike Lens Nose Opening Wider?

mtime7

Oakley Enthusiast
Texas
Some years ago I bought a pair of M Frames with sweep lens at the NEX near Pearl Harbor, last week I order a pair of SI M Frames with Strike lens from Oakley, they get here today and I try them on, and they do not fit like the pair with sweep lens. It appears that the nose opening is cut wider causing them to ride lower and touch my face. Question : Is it normal that the Strike lens nose opening is wider than the sweep, or did I unknowingly purchase a small lens years ago? Did they make a small lens in sweep?
Thanks for any help guys

Last edited:
The nose cut has changed slightly over the years, but mostly they're consistent from lens shape to shape. There are some oddballs and inconsistent cuts. Sometimes lenses really are just that much different to where they'll not fit a frame or fit your face different.

Are you sure the lens is riding lower?

There are two other differences that can account for this; height above the nose, and, more importantly, height BELOW the nose.

The Strike is a taller lens with a square cut. It's no scalloped to clear your cheeks like the Sweep is, and it will provide more coverage to the lower peripheral parts of your vision. I believe it's also ever so slightly taller above the nose.

The difference isn't huge, but it really changes the way the glasses wear on your face.

Here's a sweep (blue) overlaid on top of a strike (vented black). You can see the nose cut is very nearly the same. But the cheek is a lot different. It's hard to get them lined up exactly, but they are very close.
CC553AAA-FE93-498D-AC71-3AE6486A879A_zpslomtwogz.jpg
08C92A83-C6E6-4668-B089-FFE507782AB5_zpslkur3ii1.jpg

I see what you are saying, I guess its possible that the problem is the lens being lower and riding on my face, but when I compare the two side by side, the sweep looks thinner in the nose area. Maybe I can take the lenses out and compare, like in your photo. Thanks for the response, you couldn't guide me through taking the lens out, haven't done it in probably 7 or 8 years.

got the lens out of my old pair, and they are cut pretty close to being the same, guess it is the lens height. The lens in my new pair is in real tight, is there a trick to getting these tight ones out? I have a new sweep lens coming from Oakley, (its on back order), was going to put it in my old pair but now it will probably replace the strike.

Last edited:
Hold the fame in one hand. Point the stems at the ground and the lens at the other hand.

With the second hand pinch the lens between the nose piece and frame. Hold the frame steady. Gently pull them apart right from the center of the lens.

I try to do this gently enough to just barely separate the lens from the frame, then pull them a little further apart and unhook the corners of the lens from the frame.

New pairs tend to be tight. As they flex more they'll loosen a bit. Some lenses will engage the frame with a loud *snap*, others will just go in or out of the frame with a little force. It all comes down to the slight variances in the lenses. I have some that fit well in a frame and will fall right out of another. Or one lens that fits snug in one frame and is too tight to even get in another.

stopped at the Oakley Store, and the girls there swapped out the strike lens for a sweep, so all is well again in the world

Back