1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

I bought set of black iridium polarized Heater lenses for my frames in the summer of 2007, and before the summer was up I was back in to the shop I bought them through getting warranty service. One of the hooks on the lens was cracked pretty badly, and I felt like there was a risk of them being destroyed.

The replacement I received had a much more beveled edge where it interacted with the frame, and I decided to dedicate the lens to the frame and not continually swap it in and out as I had been doing.

I took the lens out of the frame today for cleaning and when I was checking the lens up to the light I noticed BOTH hooks are developing cracks. Granted, the lens is 4-5 years old, but I should think it would last 2-3 times that.

I plan on taking them to the nearby Vault to see if Oakley will cover me. The lens has one small mark where it took an impact from ricochet a few years ago, but it's immaculate otherwise.

My other lenses are all Strikes and appear to be no worse for wear, besides the scratches and marks from not caring for them as well.

You think Oakley will have my back on this?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. UnderTheRadars

UnderTheRadars Oakley Beginner

They should do, I cracked a lens of mine and they swapped it no problem

3. Rustpot

They offered me 15% off a new lens, since I didn't have my receipt from 5 years ago. I think I lost all of my warranty files in one of the last 4-5 times I've moved since then.

Bummer.

4. UnderTheRadars

UnderTheRadars Oakley Beginner

Hmm, not fair. I had no receipts or anything, just them off. Obviously their policy may have changed since then

5. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

wonder whats causing it to crack. i dont have heaters but my sweep and hybrids dont seem to be under any stress etc?

6. Rustpot

I have a half dozen Strike lenses that are just fine. The Heater gets a lot thinner at the hooks and has a completely different shape to it - they're actually hook shaped, as opposed to my Strikes that have a more spike-like profile.

I don't know what's causing it. I didn't think the 'orbital' of the M-Frame saw much flex, mostly the arms, but I have a big head and could be giving it a little extra pressure when I pull the shades to the top of my head.

7. OpinionatedOakley

OpinionatedOakley Oakley Beginner

If it makes you feel any better, yesterday I discovered my babied Ice Hybrid S lenses cracked completely in half in the frame. This is a snow camo M frame that I only wear when it is snowing, so it has sat in the dark for six years with the exception of THREE days that I have worn it. It had no scratches. CRACK. The cause is obvious. Since these are tension fit, the polycarb aged and gave way.

8. Rustpot

You think I should keep my lenses out of the frames when not in use? I just got an Ice lens off eBay NIB for $40, so I've at least got some kind of backup if my BIP lens gives out.

Interestingly, the hooks on the Ice lens sit deeper in the frame they're installed in compared to the BIP set in the frame they've always lived in...

9. OpinionatedOakley

OpinionatedOakley Oakley Beginner

I really don't know. There are variations in fit...perhaps mine was just too tight for the material to take.