• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
The M2 lens will hook into the frame at the edges, it won't latch in as the lens doesn't allow the flex required of a normal M Frame lens.

You can see in the photo on the OP - the lens is there, it just wouldn't come together. Maybe it could be forced? Maybe the M2 can be shortened a touch to allow the lens room to elongate to match the fit? I didn't try.

I'm not a fan of the M2 lens shape.

My favorite lenses, personally, are the Sweep and Hybrid S.

Now while I definitely don't love the M2 lens design, it is available in some flavors the M Frame lenses never were (and is currently available without scouring B/S/T forums for beat-up merchandise!).

I think being able to obtain modified M2 lenses for M Frame use would be a great option for Oakley purists.

For me, compromising with a slightly imperfect lens design (ie - the M2) to get an unavailable color (ie - Ruby Iridium) without having to use some aftermarket junk is a no-brainer.

So @Chris A Hardaway if I pick up a cheap ~$15 aftermarket lens (just so I'm not out much $$$ if it doesn't work) for R&D purposes can you take some arc and flange measurements from one of my M Frame lenses, work your magic on the aftermarket test piece, and see if you can get an M2 lens to work properly in an M Frame?

If I can borrow an M Frame, an old M lens and a generic m2 set I can definitely give it a go. I'll ship back to you for free. I figure if I can do it you may use me to make a genuine Oakley set up!
I'll actually be cutting this by hand, not with an automated edger/machine.
Just a stone wheel and talent (maybe).
What do you think @schnitzeraffe
Are you in the USA?

I just received an aftermarket M2 lens, an M-Frame, and an M-Frame Pro from @schnitzeraffe. I hope to mess around with it tomorrow. @Rustpot does this picture look correct to you for the m2 lens "flange"? Second photo is the m2 generic lens laid over an M-Frame lens.
IMG_20160302_204016.jpg
IMG_20160302_204000.jpg
I ask because it's aftermarket. Anyone else want to chime in. If I get this to work will this be the first M2 lens properly fit in an M-Frame?

Yeah, the M2 has a pointed flange. Double check the top profiles across the lens, though.

And iirc Rust mentioned a difference in flex between the two frames.

Thanks! The M Frame Sweep top arch matches, the M-Frame Strike lens didn't quite match. Not sure how they both fit M Frame as different as they are. (The strike seems to me a really old lens, cracking slightly, and had a 2001 date engraved on it). The M-Frame I'm testing on is a crystal (transparent) red! So I can start with a little, test, do a bit more, and retest until set!

I didn't become too familiar with the M2 before I passed them on.

As I said the two frames and lenses were very similar, but the M was a loose fit in the M2 Frame and the M2 was overly tight to where I didn't want to force it in the M Frame. If that's all in the geometry at the ends of the lens or in the makeup of the frame channel and flex of the frame I can't say for certain, I don't have the appropriate bits to play with.

Back