• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Madman/Badman not entirely metal (reasons to be thankful)

Finally got them

I have that same pair, the Sapphire is absolutely incredible. :cool:

For those who have not seen the Sapphire lenses in person yet the pics do not do it justice. It is a captivating color, very difficult to resist if you appreciate 'color' at all. I keep taking them out of the frames thinking I am going to cut them for one of my X-Metals, then I can't decide which one, so I put them back... After doing this a few times I most recently installed them in the Dark Carbon frame and I think they will be there for a while while my Prizm Daily's live in the Plasma frame.

Just wish those Badmans were a little smaller. Tried it and it is too big on my face. Will wait for that future Juliet style/size one.
Wait what?? They are going to make new glasses with a Juliet look?? Wow! I have a pair of xmetal juliets and they rock!

I'm not a gambling man, but if I was I'd bet a stack of cash there will be more neXt-Metals... maybe sooner than we think?
Yea I would think there would be more next metals coming. Let's hope they do.

Using O Matter is fine for the design and the material they used. In terms of the design, they needed flex especially in the bridge. Aluminum could not be used for the bridge in this design because they used diecast aluminum. Diecast aluminum provides for low per unit manufacturing costs if producing in high quantities, but the casting method does not allow for a great deal of flex. Over time a diecast bridge for something like the Madman would fail. break.

Of course they could have come up with a more elegant design that would allow for an all metal frame that would allow for flex in the bridge. As many alluded they were getting there with the XS.

So some of the detractors would say Oakley took the lazy way out and cheaped their way out on materials. I would not say that myself, but I think that's what some are alluding to.

Yeah it's a mixed bag. Seeing Dann's overview at O-Review did lighten up my skeptical outlook on the use of O-Matter. One of Oakley's angles at functional improvement is to address distortion regardless of how much we can/can't perceive it. The whole "we're trying to go forward, not live in the past" pitch has a fluffy marketing taste, but it is true. In the interest of function, selective use of materials is more impressive.

The counterargument I see to this is that the original X-Metals were in some ways a "do it because we can" thing. Ti doesn't translate to functionally better by any means, but I thought a large part of the reason Oakley did it was to prove it was fully conceivable at the time - even at the compromise of production cost. Of course there was the tweak from rivets to screws at the bridge to improve serviceability, but eh. Just saying that the titanium side of things getting played down wasn't just the allure of the material but how it attributed to the background of the production.

The Badman and Madman aren't making that type of statement. Just "hey we're a bit weird" in such a hipster-esque way; the Madman in particular isn't a timeless look but merely in the moment. That being said, along with initial impressions, I wouldn't be surprised if the Badman pans out to be more popular among casuals and dedicated fans alike in the long run.

I personally find the Badman growing on me, but I just can't agree with that price tag because it's really not so much more intricate than other wire pairs. It's clearly the "X-Metal" name placed on it that commands the cost. On the other hand, the Ballistic Crosshair is as rugged as aviators look, and is spec'd to withstand the likes of an IED (although I think the rest of the wearer's body would be toast). It's literal outrageous-ness for the common man true to Oakley's nature, yet for some reason it's getting zero like backing in marketing

careful of your madman ,pot metal can be very brittle (seen in the interwebs)

1506983_669325376512210_4342930957411963355_n.jpg
10488339_669325373178877_3435154475877789300_n.jpg

careful of your madman ,pot metal can be very brittle (seen in the interwebs)

1506983_669325376512210_4342930957411963355_n.jpg
10488339_669325373178877_3435154475877789300_n.jpg
That should be covered in the warranty. It sucks that that's happened already, but I would absolutely bring it into your local O Store or send it in if need be!

Back