• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Madman Look Alike?

Seeing that I've tried on the Madman and Badman the Madman is definitely quite unique. I feel they got the sizing correct of the lenses because if they were any bigger I think they'd be just too big. However, that being said I think it will be more of a collectors item or for the guy wanting the "HEY LOOK AT ME NOW!" statement. The badman however was a great fit and a bit more normal while being unique in its own right.

Saying those are copies of the Madman is like saying Oliver People copied the Crosshair with their aviators. The style's been out for decades. Oakley just put their own spin on it.

The manufacturing for these, as far as I am still aware, is contracted to the same factory village in China as a lot of the current Lux brand. So crossover is no surprise and I'm sure a lot of it is sourced from the same materials as the Madman's will be.

Dior is made in Italy, not China.

What's its name?

A lot of the early stuff in China was outsourced to WenZhou, there's probably 6-7 sunglasses factories within a couple of miles of each other. These places made/make everything from your $1 sunglasses to smaller but luxury brands outsourcing their products there (once they've passed factory inspections), Dior definitely being one from memory. Taizhou and Hangzhou you'll also find a lot of sunglasses production, it's a huge industry south of Shanghai.

In more recent times, I believe from friends still at the company, Lux were looking at a massive investment specifically for the Oakley brand for a new lenses unit to go alongside frame production. The big problem with counterfeit products, are there are so many different factories in terms of sunglasses production, right across the region than designs, blue prints, molds etc. move from location to location. So you've often got products at 100% replica standards coming out of 10 locations within a few miles of each other. Anyway, a bit of a digress there from the thread topic.....

A lot of the early stuff in China was outsourced to WenZhou, there's probably 6-7 sunglasses factories within a couple of miles of each other. These places made/make everything from your $1 sunglasses to smaller but luxury brands outsourcing their products there (once they've passed factory inspections), Dior definitely being one from memory. Taizhou and Hangzhou you'll also find a lot of sunglasses production, it's a huge industry south of Shanghai.
In more recent times, I believe from friends still at the company, Lux were looking at a massive investment specifically for the Oakley brand for a new lenses unit to go alongside frame production. The big problem with counterfeit products, are there are so many different factories in terms of sunglasses production, right across the region than designs, blue prints, molds etc. move from location to location. So you've often got products at 100% replica standards coming out of 10 locations within a few miles of each other. Anyway, a bit of a digress there from the thread topic.....
It's funny because I've actually been talking to WenZhou (I believe that is who) about my current sunglass needs. And I've heard the exact same thing about quality counterfeits. Also, you'll have one company where Oakley outsources their frames and the head of production there just happens to have a cousin who also has a sunglass manufacturing business and all of a sudden you have duplicates that are dead on. I've heard it called the Wild Wild West.

It seems you are speaking from a "from what I've heard" standpoint. Rayban does have manufacturing in China, but they are not "all" made there like you suggest. Neither is Dior. Dior isn't made in China at all. Unfortunately you seem to be misinformed but it's ok. A lot of people are.

It's funny because I've actually been talking to WenZhou (I believe that is who) about my current sunglass needs. And I've heard the exact same thing about quality counterfeits. Also, you'll have one company where Oakley outsources their frames and the head of production there just happens to have a cousin who also has a sunglass manufacturing business and all of a sudden you have duplicates that are dead on. I've heard it called the Wild Wild West.

There's lots of manufacturers in Wenzhou (the place) who you won't go wrong with. 4-5 excellent factories I can think of that I've visited, who have all met quality control standards that the major brands require for potential future outsourcing. Walmart get a lot of their stock from a couple of the factories there. If you want a range of sunglasses from $1-10 dollars mass produced, it's a great place. I don't know what your needs are? But I recently put someone in contact with a supplier there who created their own 'brand'. But you need a big run for them to make it worth their while and a semi long term commitment.

It seems you are speaking from a "from what I've heard" standpoint. Rayban does have manufacturing in China, but they are not "all" made there like you suggest. Neither is Dior. Dior isn't made in China at all. Unfortunately you seem to be misinformed but it's ok. A lot of people are.

Unless Dior have suddenly moved back to Italy, then they have mass production in China for Frames. I highly doubt they've made the expensive move to return frame production to Italy. I'm not sure about their lenses production anymore. They may well claim they still make it in Italy, but I assure you, they don't.

90% of Raybans were made in China when I worked for Lux, again, I highly doubt that figured has reduced. RayBan is even worse than Oakley in terms of their 'Made in Italy'. At least Oakley (up until recently as a brand) had the decency to at least assemble all the bits back in the US. That did happen for a while with Rayban, but now you will find Aviators and Wayfayrers FULLY assembled in China and ready to go, despite still carrying the made in Italy banner.

Back