• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mag Switch Custom Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - just looked at your link! Great work indeed.. :)

I see you're very busy but I am in no rush.

A Cerakote finish with new lenses would be awesome :)

I

I have stopped chiming in here. Too many hacks and stuff out here anymore. Sure, cerakote is a great and viable option as clearly your Mag M Frame benefited from, but the Switch is a beast all to itself due to the lens issue. I have also painted Mag frames as well, so either coating is certainly an option. Up to the OP to decide which way to go and how wild to go with it lol.

Could you elaborate just a bit? Lens issue?

I am going to just throw this in here for good measure. There are a few members that provide services to others by assisting with their custom jobs and ideas. Whether it is Ceracoat, frame painting, bead blast, X Metal tune ups, lens cutting, etc. No matter what it is, members have a choice of who they choose to do the job. I would hate to see members bicker over minor stuff in open forum, which will surely start flame wars between members, reported posts, mods with "@" mentions, and a slew of PM's asking for assistance in a thread. This can be easily avoided. A members choice to choose who will do their custom work is based on recommendation, observation, prior work, and how members interact with each other. So with that said, be easy with each other. Thanks!!! XMM

I am going to just throw this in here for good measure. There are a few members that provide services to others by assisting with their custom jobs and ideas. Whether it is Ceracoat, frame painting, bead blast, X Metal tune ups, lens cutting, etc. No matter what it is, members have a choice of who they choose to do the job. I would hate to see members bicker over minor stuff in open forum, which will surely start flame wars between members, reported posts, mods with "@" mentions, and a slew of PM's asking for assistance in a thread. This can be easily avoided. A members choice to choose who will do their custom work is based on recommendation, observation, prior work, and how members interact with each other. So with that said, be easy with each other. Thanks!!! XMM
Sure, and that's all fine except when said person(s) pull shady backdoor sniping crap and nothing is done about it. But hey, all is fair, right? Having admin/staff in said position is also a hell of a conflict of interest, but hey, that's all good too, right? No worries to me, luckily enough I am plenty busy outside of all this to not have to rely on it to feed my family and not my hobby like I once did. Either way, someone mentioned me and spoke and speak for myself and business rather than use a shill or puppet to do my bidding. Have a nice evening...

Could you elaborate just a bit? Lens issue?
No. I prefer not to anymore. Falls on deaf ears or those who prefer not to be active in certain aspects. And why would it be necessarily isolated to a lens issue might I ask?

I don't do lenses for multiple reasons, one of which and the main reason, is the poor quality of the present day lenses. They are NOT the same as before, and I was presented with 2 options: 1) when a poor quality mirror job on an oakley lens failed when being cut, I would simply replace at my expense, the supplied lenses from the customer and proceed to cut again. Happened 4 times with 1 set. As you can see, that was not a financially sound move for me to buy 4 pairs of polarized lenses because the first 3 sets failed. Or 2) tell said customer "too bad, the lenses failed and here is your nice custom fitted lenses with the polar layer separating, or worse, mirrored surface peeling and/or flaking. I made the decision to shy away completely because it just doesn't make sense.

Now others may or may not argue the quality, but being the innovator of that craft and having done so for nearly 10 years, I can see a drastic reduction in quality. I also know and have done tons of custom work for employees not just locally, but inside HQ and around the world. Even they have expressed issues and noticeably increased customer complaints, qac issues, and poor quality across the board. My instincts say it is 100% due to the production being sent to China, or them actually being outsourced, which is probably more accurate. Highly unlikely that "Oakley" has a facility in China, whereas Lux has many contracts and producers in China and molds were simply sent there after modifications to existing ones to remove the Made in USA embellishments. It is about the dollar and the bottom line with Lux. Nothing more, nothing less, and it shows.

No. I prefer not to anymore. Falls on deaf ears or those who prefer not to be active in certain aspects. And why would it be necessarily isolated to a lens issue might I ask?

I don't do lenses for multiple reasons, one of which and the main reason, is the poor quality of the present day lenses. They are NOT the same as before, and I was presented with 2 options: 1) when a poor quality mirror job on an oakley lens failed when being cut, I would simply replace at my expense, the supplied lenses from the customer and proceed to cut again. Happened 4 times with 1 set. As you can see, that was not a financially sound move for me to buy 4 pairs of polarized lenses because the first 3 sets failed. Or 2) tell said customer "too bad, the lenses failed and here is your nice custom fitted lenses with the polar layer separating, or worse, mirrored surface peeling and/or flaking. I made the decision to shy away completely because it just doesn't make sense.

Now others may or may not argue the quality, but being the innovator of that craft and having done so for nearly 10 years, I can see a drastic reduction in quality. I also know and have done tons of custom work for employees not just locally, but inside HQ and around the world. Even they have expressed issues and noticeably increased customer complaints, qac issues, and poor quality across the board. My instincts say it is 100% due to the production being sent to China, or them actually being outsourced, which is probably more accurate. Highly unlikely that "Oakley" has a facility in China, whereas Lux has many contracts and producers in China and molds were simply sent there after modifications to existing ones to remove the Made in USA embellishments. It is about the dollar and the bottom line with Lux. Nothing more, nothing less, and it shows.
Welcome back, hope your vaca was good (Well if you are infact back)

We just need to all make donations to get you one of the lens cutting machines Oakley uses LOL

Lets keep this on the topic of answering the question. There are multiple members who do great work on here, and it is up to the buyer to do his research on each of those members.

We just need to all make donations to get you one of the lens cutting machines Oakley uses LOL

Haha, that would be epic. I can't even imagine how awesome Chop would be then!

Welcome back, hope your vaca was good (Well if you are infact back)

Uh, my dremel works quite well, takes less space, and is easier to get parts for lol. But I like that thought
Lets keep this on the topic of answering the question. There are multiple members who do great work on here, and it is up to the buyer to do his research on each of those members.

Haha, that would be epic. I can't even imagine how awesome Chop would be then!

I appreciate the optimism on that aspect lol. Epic, doubtful. I mean I am sure the machine would allow me a lot of possibilities, but those are still limited to availability of appropriate donors. Still wouldn't combat the QAC issues I have seen as of late. Just simply put, I would rather buy a solid set of lenses from James where I know about them than to buy a chinese produced inferior lens with an Oakley package. The absolute only benefit at that point would be the taper distortion correction Oakley has patented, but even that will run out in due time. I am really bummed to see how poor they have become honestly. They just aren't up to par from the stuff ran in the early 2000-2012 range. Colors got crappy, but the bottom line was the lenses were still stellar. Now, not so stellar, and colors just as crappy if not worse because of inconsistencies. James however, can and does control the consistency of his colors and such. Hate to say it, but there is an alternative that does rank up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back