• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For Sale Mag Switch Dark Carbide - PROJECT PAIR.. 50 $

U

Username Hidden

Hi guys,
Selling my beat up Mag Switch Dark Carbide / BI.
These need som TLC - nosebridge is very loose and has paint chips. Frame has some scratches as well and the lenses are in pretty rough shape. Rubbers are ok - earsocks have small split at the very ends.
Perfect for the DIY capable ;)
PREFER TO SELL OR TRADE AS IS.
50 $ PayPal G&S

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

Last edited:
Some people reacted to this post.
How are these put together? Is it just like the X Metals? @THE X-MAN have you ever taken one of these apart?

Sorry bout the derailment but it may also help with potential sales.

Looks similar to Juliet etc - but I haven't done any DIY so I can't be sure..

Username Hidden said:
How are these put together? Is it just like the X Metals? @THE X-MAN have you ever taken one of these apart?

Sorry bout the derailment but it may also help with potential sales.
I was gonna ask the same thing but feared the laughter I may receive lol..but I'm glad know that these can loosen up..will definitely help in the future

@cacatman wrote a review on OREVIEW.COM, figure he's got experience and might know.

Username Hidden said:
I was gonna ask the same thing but feared the laughter I may receive lol..but I'm glad know that these can loosen up..will definitely help in the future
IDGAF if they laugh lol

These would be awesome to strip the magnesium and refinish.

Username Hidden said:
@cacatman wrote a review on OREVIEW.COM, figure he's got experience and might know.
Actually, I don't have any experience with deconstruction. I'm not game enough to change the shocks in case I stuff it up!!

But I know it can be done using the linegear tool, but I read somewhere that it's quite difficult (compared to Juliets) because of the angles involved. It also could be because of the rivet material which may be a softer compound. Adding to the difficulty is the real possibility of chipping or destroying the frame.

Magnesium is a highly reactive compound which is why it discolours so easily. When Jim Jannard was at the helm of Oakley, I was told by an insider that his attitude was pretty much "Don't tell me it can't be done". He would go out of his way to create amazing stuff which have now reached legendary/collectible status and lasted the test of time, and which has drawn everyone on this forum to collector as many Oakleys as possible...(at least the older vintage pairs!!)

The Mag switches are such an item. But at a cost. They're both super brittle and "unstable" (chemically speaking), which is why almost any pair sunglasses (which are in contact with sweaty faces) are not made from such material. They're one of my favourite designs, I have to say. I mean, how many people can say, these are made from magnesium.....and guess what, they haven't exploded on my face!!?

It's unusual that they get loose, because the gap isn't as much between orbital and nosepiece as the juliets.

@Jacob Carstens, I'd be willing to try and deconstruct them for free if you post them to me, as long as you accept that there's a chance that they'll be wrecked!!! :(. Frankly, I'd not take the chance and I'd "stiffen" them up by either injecting inert liquid silicon into the joint or simply doing a hack by winding dental floss till the desired stiffness is achieved.

All the best!!

Last edited:
Username Hidden said:
Actually, I don't have any experience with deconstruction. I'm not game enough to change the shocks in case I stuff it up!!

But I know it can be done using the linegear tool, but I read somewhere that it's quite difficult (compared to Juliets) because of the angles involved. It also could because of the rivet material which may be a softer compound. Adding to the difficulty is the real possibility of chipping or destroying the frame.

Magnesium is a highly reactive compound which is why it discolours so easily. When Jim Jannard was at the helm of Oakley, I was told by an insider that his attitude was pretty much "Don't tell me it can't be done". He would go out of his way to create amazing stuff which have now reached legendary/collectible status and lasted the test of time, and which has drawn everyone on this forum to collector as many Oakleys as possible...(at least the older vintage pairs!!)

The Mag switches are such an item. But at a cost. They're both super brittle and "unstable" (chemically speaking), which is why almost any pair sunglasses (which are in contact with sweaty faces) are not made from such material. They're one of my favourite designs, I have to say. I mean, how many people can say, these are made from magnesium.....and guess what, they haven't exploded on my face!!?

It's unusual that they get loose, because the gap isn't as much between orbital and nosepiece as the juliets.

@Jacob Carstens, I'd be willing to try and deconstruct them for free if you post them to me, as long as you accept that there's a chance that they'll be wrecked!!! :(. Frankly, I'd not take the chance and I'd "stiffen" them up by either injecting inert liquid silicon into the joint or simply doing a hack by winding dental floss till the desired stiffness is achieved.

All the best!!
Thanks bro - that's awesome - I might just take you up on that ;)
Looking at the joint and the scratch on the front bridge part, my guess is these didn't 'just' become loose with time. My guess is that the previous owner sad or stepped on them :confused:.

Username Hidden said:
Thanks bro - that's awesome - I might just take you up on that ;)
Looking at the joint and the scratch on the front bridge part, my guess is these didn't 'just' become loose with time. My guess is that the previous owner sad or stepped on them :confused:.
No probs. But problem is that I live in Australia. Check your PM.

I'll put this here for accountability so I don't end up "keeping" a free pair of Mag Switches!!! HA HA HA!

Hi mate,
Greetings from Adelaide, Australia.

My address is
------------
S.A. 5066.
Australia.

As I said, I'll do it for free, because I really can't guarantee I can push the rivets out without killing the frame. Also, I don't have the shock rubbers. I have some "second hand" ones out of Juliets. If you have spares of those, I can reinsert them.

Please note, I can't paint them.

If I can get the rivets out, you can tell me who to post them to for painting and I'll post directly to them with the mag switches in pieces. You should be able to reassemble much more easily.

If I can service the hinge joints, I will. But don't expect this!!!

Let me know your thoughts. I'll of course, keep you informed as I do it.

You will obviously need to pay for postage to and from Australia.

Best regards!