• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Magnesium M-Frame

Holbrook7

Oakley Beginner
What's story on these found a pair on Craigslist for 240$ like to add them because they look cool. But I'd like to know more about them before I buy just because they look cool.

Thanks!

Stolen from O-review:

Completely sealed with a ceramic polymer that binds at the molecular level, its ultra-lightweight magnesium alloy is the metal of fighter jets. A low-profile nosepiece and plush Unobtainium® earsocks maintain a secure grip. The adaptable fit is achieved with custom-engineered spring hinges and molded cam lobes that offer the comfort of progressive earstem tension. Optical clarity is wrapped and raked into a wide panorama of XYZ Optics™ lens geometry. Lens venting creates low-pressure zones for cooling airflow, and the four optional lens shapes are instantly interchangeable.

If you do end up buying them, make sure the lenses are in good condition. IIRC, the standard M Frame lenses won't work on the Mag M Frames and Oakley no longer sells the them.

They're M-Frames with a different lens shape that I believe was more prone to breaking, with a frame that was heavier than the plastic version, and more prone to breaking, harder to swap lenses, much more expensive....

Why'd they stop making these? Oh, right.

The huge benefit to the M-Frame is that it's bendy and wraps your head like crazy. Now make that out of metal...

Very cool piece of Oakley history, how many other companies made sunglasses out of magnesium? Truly ahead of it's time and not that much heavier than the O Matter verision. O Matter with Sweep lens-25.4 grams VS. Mag with a Hybrid lens-29.6 grams. Lenses are very hard to come by and usually ask crazy money for them. Still a nice add if you don't plan to wear them a lot. Lenses are difficult to change, but you just have to be careful.

Back