• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Making Stuff As A Hobby?

here are some pictures of the stuff i make out of wine barrels
IMG_20131208_160700.jpg
IMG_20140123_064224.jpg

Awesome piece! Do you sell em?

What's exactly is special about Damascus steel? I've heard about it in old tyme movies and video games... But nothing specific ?

Wikipedia time :d

True, historical Damascus steel is a lost art - nobody now knows how it was really made. It did outperform many other steels of the time but modern techniques can create steels of similar or better performance.

Modern Damascus steel (which is about all you'll run into) uses a technique called pattern welding to create something that resembles the original. It's very beautiful but that's really the only value-add, the aesthetics.

True, historical Damascus steel is a lost art - nobody now knows how it was really made. It did outperform many other steels of the time but modern techniques can create steels of similar or better performance.

Modern Damascus steel (which is about all you'll run into) uses a technique called pattern welding to create something that resembles the original. It's very beautiful but that's really the only value-add, the aesthetics.
Was waiting for that.

Danasteel uses a different process too.

What I really want is some timascus, but its a bit pricey and I haven't found it in the size I need

Back