• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Making Stuff As A Hobby?

True, historical Damascus steel is a lost art - nobody now knows how it was really made. It did outperform many other steels of the time but modern techniques can create steels of similar or better performance.

Modern Damascus steel (which is about all you'll run into) uses a technique called pattern welding to create something that resembles the original. It's very beautiful but that's really the only value-add, the aesthetics.
Was waiting for that.

Danasteel uses a different process too.

What I really want is some timascus, but its a bit pricey and I haven't found it in the size I need

Was waiting for that.

Danasteel uses a different process too.

What I really want is some timascus, but its a bit pricey and I haven't found it in the size I need

Yeah, Damasteel is sintered. I think they still have to twist / manipulate it after sintering to get the various patterns but I don't know for sure - I've known about pattern welding for years but I just learned about Damasteel a couple of months ago...

I haven't heard of timascus; I'll have to look that one up...

Last edited:
Yeah, Damasteel is sintered. I think they still have to twist / manipulated it after sintering to get the various patterns but I don't know for sure - I've known about pattern welding for years but I just learned about Damasteel a couple of months ago...

I haven't heard of timascus; I'll have to look that one up...
It's fantastic

Ah - timascus is pattern welded titanium, the layers colored through heat or anodizing. Seems a logical progression... The Font is fed...

Making stuffies~ ...I make costumes & misc. arts'n'crafts or can just callem props =P

Lastest project from last year and this year are...
1_.jpg
2_.jpg
3_.jpg
4_.jpg

...I handed out Candy canes at the beach for a a few days. Didn't finish ontime, Dec. 26th =\ BUT! this years Halloween & Xmas it's all ready to go ~_^ ....plus going to make some custom hands and refit/tailor the store bought suit'n'gloves....or maybe make a suit......then everything would be hand made and original (=

Making stuffies~ ...I make costumes & misc. arts'n'crafts or can just callem props =P

Lastest project from last year and this year are...
View attachment 97250 View attachment 97251 View attachment 97252 View attachment 97253
...I handed out Candy canes at the beach for a a few days. Didn't finish ontime, Dec. 26th =\ BUT! this years Halloween & Xmas it's all ready to go ~_^ ....plus going to make some custom hands and refit/tailor the store bought suit'n'gloves....or maybe make a suit......then everything would be hand made and original (=
Wow that's impressive stuff!

Thank you~!^^ Means alot...since I not get to wear it out on too many occasions obviously HAHA! >< Halloween gunna walk around throughout the month same for Xmas! Halloween going to hand out candy or early Xmas ornaments but of the voodoo-head instead that the one kid pulled out on xmas day~ ...or maybe ditch all that and try to turn my lawn into a life size scene from the movie. Not totally certain of Which scene tho'....but Xmas Candy Canes for sure again + caroling in it lol! ...and again mayyybe try to mock up a Xmas scene from the movie to be a life size walk in type thingy~ and also hand out the Jack ornaments that are already pictured...goal is to make 300 atleast! ><

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back