• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Man I'm shocked

I agree - I worked for a restaurant corporation for 15 years, 11 of them as their MIS Director. Franchises are sweet.

But usually an industry standard P&L breakdown for a full service restaurant is 30% cost of goods, 30% labor, 30% other controllable & non-controllable expenses, 10% profit. When you're able to cut down the percentages of those costs, it helps the bottom line, obviously. But there is a minimum spend just to open the doors, and if you exceed those cost %s then it quickly turns into a losing proposition.
Then when they are all screwed up they call in Chef Robert to save the day. ;)

Then when they are all screwed up they call in Chef Robert to save the day. ;)

I've watched the Chef Ramsay version of that show (Kitchen Nightmares). Very formulaic, with a lot of vetting of candidates for drama, but the owners do tend to be pretty clueless and really shouldn't be in that business.

I've watched the Chef Ramsay version of that show (Kitchen Nightmares). Very formulaic, with a lot of vetting of candidates for drama, but the owners do tend to be pretty clueless and really shouldn't be in that business.
Yup.....
It's unreal when he asks "what is your background?" and he gets a reply of "I'm an accountant" or "I was in the IT field".....he goes "no restaurant background?"..........reply....."no :("
And they wonder why they are failing. Restaurant business is hard work....you don't just open the doors and people come flocking in.

have you watched the brittish version less tv drama and more about trying to save the business

Yup.....
It's unreal when he asks "what is your background?" and he gets a reply of "I'm an accountant" or "I was in the IT field".....he goes "no restaurant background?"..........reply....."no :("
And they wonder why they are failing. Restaurant business is hard work....you don't just open the doors and people come flocking in.

i have got the lottery dream of opening a resturant but i would hire some who know what they are doing to run it

i have got the lottery dream of opening a resturant but i would hire some who know what they are doing to run it
I'm always told I could have a restaurant with the way I cook food......do I want that headache? No..... would I love to see my own restaurant? Yes....... Still.....not happening though. Like Kronin said.....takes years to make back your start up money..

I'm always told I could have a restaurant with the way I cook food..

I get the same thing sometimes. And that's the pitfall; you have someone who can cook well decide to open a restaurant without really knowing what they're getting into...

And even when you're successful, it's a lot of work - the hours are grueling and thankless...

I get the same thing sometimes. And that's the pitfall; you have someone who can cook well decide to open a restaurant without really knowing what they're getting into...

And even when you're successful, it's a lot of work - the hours are grueling and thankless...
And you get all those people who want **** for free.

a friend of mine is working in north Dakota at the oilfields and is pulling in $200.000 PROFIT a year selling taco and burritos out of a box van to the oilfield workers(there are 50k guys wanting a decent hot meal out there). Open a restaurant out there and you will be rich. This guy started last year with no money in his pocket, now he's buying 2 more vans and a home base shop is being built.

Back