• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Manufacturing defect?

It looks like what is actually one of the most common manufacturer defects I see. It doesn't just affect photochromic and polarized lenses. Its likely just an air bubble or a "pit" inside the lens. It happens more often than not honestly. Your best bet is to either go back to seller and they'll have to bite the bullet so to speak or call Oakley direct and they'll have you send them in to have them inspected and then likely replaced under warranty.

Were they similar to this one? It doesn't really disturb my field of vision when I put them on (though I just tried them indoors today).
If it doesn't disturb your vision then I would say wear it for a bit and when you decide you're ready as long as it is under a year and bought from an authorized Oakley retailer with receipt they'll still warranty it for you. Just my two cents...

I have a similar issue with a pair I will be sending back to Oakley. I bought them from the SI site and there is a defect (bubble) in the iridium coating. They looked at pictures and told me to send them back. I hope they will replace them free of charge, but I am a little worried they will say it is an acceptable flaw. I hope it works out for you!

slvrsragn69 and BHarry, are you talking about Oakley US or Oakley Europe? I've dealt with Oakley US before, and I will be moving back to Chicago later this spring, but I'm in Europe now and have absolutely no experience with Oakley Europe (besides emails, where they are a bit slow). What I would like to avoid is paying a lot for shipping them and then being told that it's "acceptable".
And can I deal directly with Oakley Europe instead of having to go through to the online retailer that sold me the glasses? Or can I ask my local Oakley dealer (the one who told me that Oakley deems such defects acceptable) to take care of this for me?
Oh, and slvrdragn69, how frequent are such issues? You seem to have seen more of them

slvrsragn69 and BHarry, are you talking about Oakley US or Oakley Europe? I've dealt with Oakley US before, and I will be moving back to Chicago later this spring, but I'm in Europe now and have absolutely no experience with Oakley Europe (besides emails, where they are a bit slow). What I would like to avoid is paying a lot for shipping them and then being told that it's "acceptable".
I'm dealing with Oakley US. I'm sure their process is different, but you could still deal with Oakley US when you return. If the defect is tolerable, you could still get some wear time, then have them shipped (and possibly replaced) for free before the year is up.

True, but they can then claim that it's a scratch that I caused while wearing them. And warranty does not cover scratches on the lens!

True, but they can then claim that it's a scratch that I caused while wearing them. And warranty does not cover scratches on the lens!
That is the other issue, my lenses aren't perfect. I told them I had worn them and they had a few small imperfections. They still told me to send them in, I hope a manufacturing defect supersedes a tiny scratch...:idk:

Yes, looks like a little bubble sometimes
Exactly, it's really tiny, but still visible. I never saw anything like this on my older Oakleys (I have about 8 Radarlock lenses). I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so it annoys me even if it doesn't disturb my vision. And they were not exactly cheap either.
I wonder if this anything to do with possible changes in moving lens manufacturing to another site

Update: Oakley Europe responded to my email and asked for more photos, so they may be able to help. The only problem is that the defect is almost invisible without a flashlight (they also wanted pictures without flash), even though it's clearly visible with a naked eye.

The seller also promised to get me a replacement, and I may be refunded for return shipping, but there's no clear timeline yet.

So overall it seems that this may not be such a common (read: acceptable) defect of workmanship

Back