• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars C-Clip Removal - Needle Pliers Question

Use a precision flat head screwdriver to wedge between the peg and gently work them apart by gently turning the screwdriver clockwise and counterclockwise which will expand the c-clip. If you don't have a flat head screwdriver fine enough (like me) make one! I used a file to work the tip if my driver down to a chisels edge so it works perfect. Once the old clips are off put on the new ones and close them gently with needle nose pliers. You may need to expand the new c-clips a bit to get them on. If that is the case I do it carefully with 2 needle nose pliers. I use one to grasp each open end of the c-clip and I gently pull them apart to open up the clip. Hope that helps! It's the way I do it based off of ways I've read and what xmetalmaniac told me. Lots of ways to do it, just be patient, don't rush!

THANK YOU to everyone who has given such detailed advice. I bet it's one of those things that once you've done successfully once, you can repeat without fear. Never having done it, it is truly intimidating. My first attempt was a joke.

I still can't work out how you get the flat head driver under one bit of the clip and avoid the clip just spinning round, like it did on me.

THANK YOU to everyone who has given such detailed advice. I bet it's one of those things that once you've done successfully once, you can repeat without fear. Never having done it, it is truly intimidating. My first attempt was a joke.

I still can't work out how you get the flat head driver under one bit of the clip and avoid the clip just spinning round, like it did on me.
You don't have to do it that way. Put the driver between the split in the peg attached to the frame. Gently work it down and turn the screwdriver gently in both directions. This will expand the c-clip already on there and it will come off as you spread the two halves of the peg apart.

Put the driver between the split in the peg attached to the frame. Gently work it down and turn the screwdriver gently in both directions. This will expand the c-clip already on there and it will come off as you spread the two halves of the peg apart...
... or it will snap off one half of the peg. I'm all for spreading the peg a little to get some play in the clip but to ask the pegs to do all the work expanding the C clip is asking for trouble.
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/oakley-mars-repairs.49543/

Back