1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. FXD

FXD Oakley Beginner

I've always felt the Mars Crater is stuck in limbo between X-Metal/Black and Leather/Gold.

They designed the Leather frame to have holes in it to allow the leather to be stitched and glued to the frame, but did they then looked at it and say 'we can just sell it without the leather'?

It feels like they just used the spare orbitals of the Mars Leather to cobble together a 'different' frame.

If you have the Leather and the X-Metal Black, do you see much need to also have a Crater? I wouldn't feel it is warranted.

Conversely, if you can't afford the Leather, do you feel the Crater is a nice compromise?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. bawitheba

bawitheba Oakley Enthusiast

Yes having all 3 is defiantly worth it. I am still working ony mars collection.

If you have the mars is getting the crater worth it? Yes it's a functional frame to the leather. If you can get the leather the crater is a great compromise but you should still be on the lookout for the Jordan mars.

These are just my openions I could be wrong.

3. mairon08

mairon08 Oakley Beginner

did the leathers go out before the craters?

4. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

according to o-review, they both came out in march of 1998

5. FXD

FXD Oakley Beginner

O-Review lists when the model was released, not the specific colourway.

I think from memory Crater came after Leather, but I'm not sure. Ruby definitely came after all three.

6. Oakley_Sight

Oakley_Sight Gotta love a good DOG

I like the effect the holes in the crater version gives the frame. Infact i'd say (& please don't shoot me down on this) I prefer the crater out of all the models.

Sean72791 likes this.