• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars

Is there a trick to removing them? This sounds like a pain.
Yes, xmetalmaniac explained to me how to do it. To remove the old clip slide a fine flat head screwdriver between the orbital tabs that the C-clip is holding closed. Then you gently pry open the orbital and spread out the c-clip. At this point the OEM clips will either slowly expand or, more likely, shatter into a thousand pieces. Then, I take 2 pairs of needle nose pliers and grasp each open end of the new Linegear C-clip I plan on using after I change the lenses. Spread the clip so it's big enough to fit over the closed tabs. Put it over the closed tabs after you are done with the lens change, and gently squeeze closed with needle nose pliers. It is a pain over just turning a screw, that's for sure, but I love my Mars. Its not like you change the lenses every day. I have several pairs, each with a lens I like, so the lens changing is very minimal.

Now I have to get another pair of nn pliers. This is getting expensive. I should have went with another XS instead.

I recommend getting a spare set of c-clips from LG before you try to swap the lenses. OEM clips have a >50% chance of shattering, as mentioned, so it's better to be ready to replace them than sit around for a week or two waiting for replacements to come in after the fact.

IMO the c-clip lens swap design is in the top 3 of the list of poor design choices for x-metals. They're a pain, but they can be done and then you're finished.

Also IMO, any excuse to have to buy new tools is a good thing... ;)

I recommend getting a spare set of c-clips from LG before you try to swap the lenses. OEM clips have a >50% chance of shattering, as mentioned, so it's better to be ready to replace them than sit around for a week or two waiting for replacements to come in after the fact.

IMO the c-clip lens swap design is in the top 3 of the list of poor design choices for x-metals. They're a pain, but they can be done and then you're finished.

Also IMO, any excuse to have to buy new tools is a good thing... ;)
What are the other top 2 poor design choices?

Back