• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Matte Black Vs. Black Ink

Mbydes

Oakley Beginner
I've seen some jupiter sq models described with frame colour as black ink and matte black.

I wondered if there was any difference between these two colours or whether they were the same thing?

Thanks

Matte Black
195641886_195529833940dd02a7e3c7f2ab3f682cef0db198f4775e2f9.jpg

Black Ink
185203307_185055576918d728a2c102f0a9f2803a150a45ac9d9b0697a.jpg

Black ink still has a polished finish, but it's a little different than standard polished black. In some frames (not sure if this is for all), when you hold them up to the light, they are slightly translucent with the black ink, a little bit of light passes through but it's a little hard to notice. It's a really unique and understated frame color for sure. I wish more had that option.

Matte black on the other hand is a smooth "matte" finish. It's a little like running your hand across a well sanded piece of wood. That's the only way I can think of describing it. It doesn't have any of the gloss or shine, it also doesn't turn into a fingerprint magnet. Both are excellent frame color options, and it all just comes down to personal preference for what you want. :biggrin:

Matte Black doesn't have any gloss to it, think of it as flat black, Polished Black on the other hand is the opposite and has a glossy look to it but the black is solid, Black Ink does have a gloss to it but the color is not solid, there is a transparency to it, I guess an opaque crystal black? That's just my observations of course

And you can't forget about "matte black ink" which are available in the new Racing Jackets - just a slightly transparent matte black.

Back