• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Matte lenses in JFL and Hatchet

Sun & Sand

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
The various matte lenses I have seen fall into two categories:
matte lenses with a satin finish, which look as if somebody has sprayed metallic paint on the lens, and
matte lenses with a gloss finish, which look as if somebody has sprayed metallic paint on the lens, then added a gloss clear coat on top.

To show the differences between the lenses, here we have one pair of each type:
satin matte lenses in Hatchet Wire frames, and
gloss matte lenses in Jupiter Factory Lite frames.

First, the satin matte lenses in Hatchet Wire frames:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It would appear that the Matte lens have some reflectivity, whereas the gloss lens(oddly enough) appear to have minimal reflection..........................you sure you've got them listed correctly?

It would appear that the Matte lens have some reflectivity, whereas the gloss lens(oddly enough) appear to have minimal reflection..........................you sure you've got them listed correctly?
Yes, the lenses are identified correctly.
The difference between the lenses is not the amount of reflectivity, but rather the quality of the reflection. Reflections off the surface of the satin matte lenses have a textured quality, whereas reflections off the gloss matte lenses are uniformly smooth.
I tried to capture that difference in the photos, but I'm not a great photographer.

Yes, the lenses are identified correctly.
The difference between the lenses is not the amount of reflectivity, but rather the quality of the reflection. Reflections off the surface of the satin matte lenses have a textured quality, whereas reflections off the gloss matte lenses are uniformly smooth.
I tried to capture that difference in the photos, but I'm not a great photographer.

This being so, I think the gloss lens are the way to go. They have an almost supernatural appearance to me.

I know we talked before, are these the same matte lenses as I have in my JFL's? [...]
The lenses I call "gloss matte" lenses above are the lenses that we talked about a few weeks ago.
Sadly, I've just learned that these gloss matte lenses are no longer in production.
So that leaves just the "satin matte" lenses shown in the Hatchet Wire.
Bummer!

The lenses I call "gloss matte" lenses above are the lenses that we talked about a few weeks ago.
Sadly, I've just learned that these gloss matte lenses are no longer in production.
So that leaves just the "satin matte" lenses shown in the Hatchet Wire.
Bummer!
Production from...? dillon?

Latest Posts

Back