• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Matte lenses in Romeo R1

Here's a photo that compares a matte silver lens (the upper lens in the photo) with the matte slate lenses that @Chris A Hardaway cut for my Romeo R1:

2016-06 Matte lenses horiz 2.jpg

The matte slate mirror is a darker silver color than the matte silver mirror.
Both types of lenses diffuse the light that shines on them, creating the matte mirror effect.
If you look closely, you can see trees reflected in the outer surface of the matte slate lenses, whereas all you see in the outer surface of the matte silver lens are dark blurs where the trees would be. That's because the outer surface of the matte slate lenses is glossy, whereas the outer surface of the matte silver lens is dull. The difference is like the difference between the glossy inner surface of an untreated lens compared to the dull inner surface of a lens with backside AR coating. Similarly, the difference in the glossiness of the outer surface of these lenses may be caused by the oleophobic coating that the matte silver lens has but the matte slate lenses lack.

Here's a photo that compares a matte silver lens (the upper lens in the photo) with the matte slate lenses that @Chris A Hardaway cut for my Romeo R1:

View attachment 254399

The matte slate mirror is a darker silver color than the matte silver mirror.
Both types of lenses diffuse the light that shines on them, creating the matte mirror effect.
If you look closely, you can see trees reflected in the outer surface of the matte slate lenses, whereas all you see in the outer surface of the matte silver lens are dark blurs where the trees would be. That's because the outer surface of the matte slate lenses is glossy, whereas the outer surface of the matte silver lens is dull. The difference is like the difference between the glossy inner surface of an untreated lens compared to the dull inner surface of a lens with backside AR coating. Similarly, the difference in the glossiness of the outer surface of these lenses may be caused by the oleophobic coating that the matte silver lens has but the matte slate lenses lack.
can you take more pictures outside ??

The first lenses you posted didn't look so matte to me because you could clearly see outlines of trees in the reflection...

If the ones you posted above are different, I'd love to see them outside to see how other objects reflect off of it...

That's the difference between a good matte lens and a not so good matte lens...

Great photos! Helpful in comparison. So did you get a Dillon Silver NIR lens then now?
The Slate Matte VZ lens seems closer to the Black Dillon lenses, not the silver. But those silver at top of photo look great too!

Yeah, the ones on top looks way better - what are they ??

Much better matte finish than the VZ's...

[...]The first lenses you posted didn't look so matte to me because you could clearly see outlines of trees in the reflection...
If the ones you posted above are different, I'd love to see them outside to see how other objects reflect off of it...[...]
The matte slate lenses on the orange backdrop in the photo above are the same matte slate lenses mounted in my Romeo R1 in the photo that appeared in the post that started this thread. I had better lighting for the photo with the orange backdrop.

The matte slate lenses on the orange backdrop in the photo above are the same matte slate lenses mounted in my Romeo R1 in the photo that appeared in the post that started this thread. I had better lighting for the photo with the orange backdrop.
Oohhhh, ok, so that just tells me that it looks "matte" because there is only a light reflecting off of it...

So if you go outside, it won't be a true matte because of all the reflections you can see in it right ??

If I reflect a light off of my Dillons, the entire lens looks bright, but you can't tell exactly what the light source is because of how good the matte finish is...

In your VZ's, you can see it's the sun and trees in the background...

Definitely some differences in the two matte finishes...

Back