1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Oakley Beginner

Hi everybody! I'm new to these forums, but I was curious as to doing some painting of my new Split Jackets. I got the black polished frames with the blue jaws from the vault for cheap, but want a different color. I like the idea of at least a matte black type of base, possibly nothing else. Other matte colors on top would be something to think about, but I have not come up with a design or anything I am certain about yet.

I just have no idea what the best way to go about a matte paint job would be. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks guys.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Oakley_Sight

Oakley_Sight Gotta love a good DOG

If you're wanting a matte finish I'd speak to dr chop & see about him doing it. Otherwise it could become costly for you to try.

3. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Oakley Beginner

I did notice that he seems to be the resident guru on that kind of stuff. Thanks for the advice.

4. ekleve

ekleve Oakley Beginner

I picked up the same pair from the Vault for a killer price. I removed the jaws and painted it matte black with a gloss clear coat. It turned out great. The jaws have a very subtle contrast from the frames. I left the icons and hinge blue. They look awesome. I think I will pick up some ice iridium lenses!

Easy to do if you have basic painting skills. PM me for more details.

5. kujo_3

kujo_3 Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

pics please.

6. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

7. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

you can go anywhere between shine gloss down to coarse rough textured matte...All up to you...

8. ekleve

ekleve Oakley Beginner

Pics

Pics as requested :laugh:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103154147836796955693/OakleySplitJackets#

The jaws have a slightly different texture than the rest of the frames because of the matte black paint, but the gloss clear coat makes it very subtle. I point this out to my friends and most say they can't even notice a difference.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics.

Let me know if you have any questions.