• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Max Fearlight Wire Sub Zero - CUSTOM BUILD!

Loving this stage by stage build. Like others on here I'm so looking forward to seeing the finished prototype. Then into production you go Brian. Man you :rockon:

Thanks O_S! this build has been something i have been wanting to do for a long time now. when i first posted this (along with the "Custom wrapping a Mars crater" thread) there were NO replies. so i guessed no interest..LOL

but in the end i figured what the hell, i really want it. So here it is! =)

and production.. HMM. maybe!

Haha, well Brian. If you are thinking of production, maybe there's some way I can help you on that. But that are all future dreams of course ;)

But as I promised you, a picture of the inside of the zero hinge. As you can see there is an extremely small tab, which I think must keep all in place. It's a left hinge and you can see the tab at the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, well Brian. If you are thinking of production, maybe there's some way I can help you on that. But that are all future dreams of course ;)

But as I promised you, a picture of the inside of the zero hinge. As you can see there is an extremely small tab, which I think must keep all in place. It's a left hinge and you can see the tab at the right side.

ohh i see! thanks jules! ill check my 0.6 and see if that tab exists. and yes, if we go into production, ill have to strike a deal with you for parts! :)

i cant wait for the mframe arms to come. do you have any tips on how to remove the arms from the hinge safely? i was thinking using a guitar pick to pry it carefully

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, did you get them off easily? And how? :)

yes and no.. haha. i wouldnt recommend doing it just for "customs" sake. only if you really, really need to replace a broken hinge or something.

this 0.6 has a cracked hinge, so im replacing it.

first i used a thin plastic strip (a thin guitar pick would work better because of the tapered edge, easier to get between the frame and lens).
dcff021c-2048-5ce1.jpg

work it all around the frame to seperate the glue holding the lens. be careful around to small tab that monster_beetle pointed out.

once glue is mostly seperated, hold the frame part between index finger an thumb, rock it back and forth gently to break away any remaining glue. GENTLY. everything is so brittle, from the lens to the frame.
start to lift upwards and gently pull the frame off the lens.
here you can see the notch in the lens where the tab slides into. note all the superglue. yes, superglue. sigh.
dcff0258-20fa-a6af.jpg

here is the cracked frame. this hinge will be replaced. i will try to repair this hinge to reuse, by supergluing.

dcff022b-212b-048b.jpg

Call for donation - any scratched up mframe lens, not ballistic. Hooks/tabs that clip to the frame need to be intact please..

Thanks to rustpot for his lens donations.. The lens can be used as templates but it is too thick to fit in the zero hinge.

Thanks to monster_beetle too, the gen1 Mframe arms and spare hinge has arrived.