• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

oakleybezerk's "O" museum

@mercbezerk I know you are quite busy, Shannon, but when you have time to check in here could you tell us how often you stand in front of a section of your cabs...or a particular cab, and say "Mmm..no. This has to change" ?? Do you do that as a collector because of your sense of "Universal Order" in your brain or do you re-arrange on occasion simply to accommodate more pieces that you get and need to put in their place?

And have you started on the Mega Cabinet project yet?

:whistle:

@mercbezerk I know you are quite busy, Shannon, but when you have time to check in here could you tell us how often you stand in front of a section of your cabs...or a particular cab, and say "Mmm..no. This has to change" ?? Do you do that as a collector because of your sense of "Universal Order" in your brain or do you re-arrange on occasion simply to accommodate more pieces that you get and need to put in their place?

And have you started on the Mega Cabinet project yet?

:whistle:
@cyclerdoug , my apologies for the delayed response. I'm unable to check in on the Forum while at work (IT dept have started blocking all forms of social media from the work terminals)

I often find myself trying to figure out how best to arrange the pairs I have. I am somewhat OCD, but not that I'm constantly unpacking and repacking the shelves. That generally only happens with each new pair that is added, if there was no provision made for it the last time that frames were shuffled. In the beginning it was a nightmare because the collection was still in its infancy stages and limited space to house them, but with the addition of more displays, it became a little easier to work with... more gaps that needed filling as opposed to making grouped frames work in a tight spot.

I may find myself back at that point as I add more, but for now, I'm content with how I have them displayed.

@mercbezerk apology not necessary, I figured you were busy! ;)

Thanks for the personal insight! So when you get another pair, how far ahead are you thinking as far as display space goes?? Not Holbrooks, obviously, you pretty much have that all allocated...what if it's a model that you get and find you really like. Are you setting out to get a few more, or maybe the entire line? In either case, it seems like you allow for a few more pair each time you add one to budget space accordingly. :)

@mercbezerk apology not necessary, I figured you were busy! ;)

Thanks for the personal insight! So when you get another pair, how far ahead are you thinking as far as display space goes?? Not Holbrooks, obviously, you pretty much have that all allocated...what if it's a model that you get and find you really like. Are you setting out to get a few more, or maybe the entire line? In either case, it seems like you allow for a few more pair each time you add one to budget space accordingly. :)
@cyclerdoug I've started slowing down on my purchases, only because I feel like I've achieved the bulk of what I've wanted to personally own. With close on 400 pairs there's not a helluva lot still out there that I'm keen on getting my hands on. Albeit I have a grail list which I would like to fulfil, but that's only a total of 5 pairs and those would need to be shuffled into the mix if procured one day. There are still a couple of new releases which we all catch wind of months before their release, so I factor those pairs into the displays well in advance. However, If there is the odd release, such as the "Beams Have a Good time" which was never part of the planned buys, then I revisit the displays and see how best to slot them in.

There is one shelf that has been standing empty for almost three years that I'm looking forward to filling, but that all comes down to when those pairs have been completed and shipped. Hopefully, I'm not having to wait too much longer for them.

@cyclerdoug I've started slowing down on my purchases, only because I feel like I've achieved the bulk of what I've wanted to personally own. With close on 400 pairs there's not a helluva lot still out there that I'm keen on getting my hands on. Albeit I have a grail list which I would like to fulfil, but that's only a total of 5 pairs and those would need to be shuffled into the mix if procured one day. There are still a couple of new releases which we all catch wind of months before their release, so I factor those pairs into the displays well in advance. However, If there is the odd release, such as the "Beams Have a Good time" which was never part of the planned buys, then I revisit the displays and see how best to slot them in.

There is one shelf that has been standing empty for almost three years that I'm looking forward to filling, but that all comes down to when those pairs have been completed and shipped. Hopefully, I'm not having to wait too much longer for them.

I'd love to know what those grails are brother... I'm sure with that collection that they are epic to say the least.

@mercbezerk roger that, thank you! I've reviewed your room photos many times and it is obvious there's a master plan with your layout, I was curious as to how you figured where you put stuff and if it was "Permanent". I've got the Spine case now with everything in it except the Radars, which are used much more than the rest for cycling. Those are in a counter top case downstairs in the bike room. There's a few artist series down there too that don't fit in the main case... I could really use another large display but that has to be down the road a bit.
I like zooming in on your pics and seeing your shelf arrangements, full but not jammed so full that things can't be seen.
I'm a bit sad that you're coming to the end of your collection, but very happy that you're keeping them and not moving on to something else, and that you've managed all but a few yet of your goal. I hope you get the grails soon...and please share them as they get there!:whistle:

And thanks again for the rationale with your setups, the more I saw your cases in your room the more I wanted the inside story on how you filled them.

Last edited:
I'd love to know what those grails are brother... I'm sure with that collection that they are epic to say the least.
Frames that would satisfy my itch, but in no rush to get are:
  • Valentines Frogskins
  • Full Carbon C-Six
  • Brian Takumi SGH Exclusive Hand Painted Holbrook (circa 2011/2)
  • 24K X-Metal X-Squared
  • 24K X-Metal Juliet
Other Non-Essential Nice to Haves:
  • FMJ Watch
  • Macallan Flask
  • Bike Badge

@mercbezerk roger that, thank you! I've reviewed your room photos many times and it is obvious there's a master plan with your layout, I was curious as to how you figured where you put stuff and if it was "Permanent". I've got the Spine case now with everything in it except the Radars, which are used much more than the rest for cycling. Those are in a counter top case downstairs in the bike room. There's a few artist series down there too that don't fit in the main case... I could really use another large display but that has to be down the road a bit. I like zooming in on your pics and seeing your shelf arrangements, full but not jammed so full that things can't be seen. I'm a bit sad that you're coming to the end of your collection, but very happy that you're keeping them and not moving on to something else, and hat you've managed all but a few yet of your goal. I hope you get the grails soon...and please share them as they get there!:whistle:
And thanks again for the rationale with your setups, the more I saw your cases in your room the more I wanted the inside story on how you filled them.

Everything in the cabs are "permanent". Anyone who knows me knows that when I put something on display, it's almost never coming out again. I'm proud to be a shelf whore who preserves some of Oakley's legacy & history. I've been told by many that they were designed to be worn, but I just can't bring myself to wear any of the frames I own. I keep telling myself that some other collector down the line will appreciate that one day when my children sell my collection off the day I longer am around to prevent that from happening ;) If there is a frame that I would like to wear, I'll pick up a second one.

My wife is a photographer, so I'll get her to snap some close up shots of the displays to post up here so you don't have to zoom in on the grainy pics I've posted before.

One is never truly at the end of their collection... I still have a lot to learn about what has been released in the past and am always surprised at what's been overlooked, which re-ignites that desire to know more and sometimes I add a few more pieces to the list. I still have 5 empty displays to fill... I'm just at that stage where I'm a bit more picky about what to put in them.

Frames that would satisfy my itch, but in no rush to get are:

Everything in the cabs are "permanent". Anyone who knows me knows that when I put something on display, it's almost never coming out again. I'm proud to be a shelf whore who preserves some of Oakley's legacy & history. I've been told by many that they were designed to be worn, but I just can't bring myself to wear any of the frames I own. I keep telling myself that some other collector down the line will appreciate that one day when my children sell my collection off the day I longer am around to prevent that from happening ;) If there is a frame that I would like to wear, I'll pick up a second one.

My wife is a photographer, so I'll get her to snap some close up shots of the displays to post up here so you don't have to zoom in on the grainy pics I've posted before.

After New Years Eve I couldn't do 2 late ones in a row...so I fell asleep to some really bad tv shortly after my last comment yesterday, my apologies.

I woke to this one and I was jus about to give you flak about not wearing any of your frames but that sentence right there makes it acceptable.
:drinks:

And close up shots from the Mrs. would be outstanding when she can!!

Thank You!:hi:

Back