• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Metal Investment For Future Resale

Krank

Oakley Expert
Albany NY
How many of you have bought metals in speculation for future sales? I'm not talking collecting, just pure speculation and sale down the road. If you are doing this, what metals are you trying to horde for those sales?
I'm asking just out curiosity...and I needed mental break from my current graphic design project.

I'm kinda hoping people who buy stuff like this not for collecting or wearing, but purely for opportunistic reasons accidentally step in front of a bus. It drives the prices up for people who just want to buy and enjoy the products, placing them out of reach for everyone without deep pockets.

I can see from your point of view for sure. I'm one of those without deep pockets. (poor college student, funding his O habit with an older baseball card collection.) Wishing death on people might be a bit harsh though.

I dont see why you cant collect and make money on them at the same time? jump on good deals keep them mint and when something else comes up trade up etc...

I mean not saying scalp the forum to death but we all deserve a win/win situation if that makes sense.

To be fair, I never explicitly wished death on anyone; I'm sure many people have been grazed by a bus and lived to tell about it. If people can make some money selling some of the stuff they collected, that's great. But when someone becomes involved in a hobby for the sole purpose of profiting, it ruins the hobby for everyone.

Think about the following:" Investing in sunglasses". Its risky, and unlikely you will generate profits from doing so. If you so happen to collect and enjoy sunglasses and one day decide to move on and they have taken value all the better. ( Its done here frequently, poeple join, collect and sell off) but strictly attempting to profit as an investment is a tough sell in my opinion.

Think about the following:" Investing in sunglasses". Its risky, and unlikely you will generate profits from doing so. If you so happen to collect and enjoy sunglasses and one day decide to move on and they have taken value all the better. ( Its done here frequently, poeple join, collect and sell off) but strictly attempting to profit as an investment is a tough sell in my opinion.
I agree, there are better things to invest in.:dance:

invest in OEM lenses for x-metals,very soon Oakley will stop the production of the lenses on a discontinued pair of frames and then you will be able to ask what you want for them in the near future.

Agreed!
I have purchased some doubles in case my display/wear pair gets damaged/ lost I will have another pair and will not feel compelled to step in front of a bus voluntarily. :D
I've also overpaid (IMO) for some grails that I wanted to own in my collection (JBR, JC, R2 Scelzi).
I'm not in this to make a killing- it's my hope that in the end this hobby is at least about self-sufficient/ break-even.
That's what I'm in it for.

I think buying in hopes the price goes up is def risky. I buy the metals I want, if they go up, cool. They're probably not going to go down any time soon. But as long as I don't lose any money, I'm good with the way I'm doing things now.

Latest Posts

Back