• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Metal Vault Refreshed

Good when are u doing mine ; )
It would cost you more to ship back and forth then the felt. Only .25 a sheet. This really was a cheap repair. Maybe the cheapest for any oakley product.
But hey I'm game.:grin:

I recently did this to my Large Vault using craft foam. I'm about to do the same to my X-Metal Vault that has started to deteriorate. It looks awesome and still gives the shock absorbency that's needed too. I'll take a few pictures when I get a sec.
How many sheets did you have to use to fill it in. Deffinitely throw some pics up. I'd like to see how it turned out.

How many sheets did you have to use to fill it in. Deffinitely throw some pics up. I'd like to see how it turned out.

Just one A4 sheet will probably do 2 cases if cut it correctly. I screwed up the sizing on my first go so had no spare bits.

I made cut outs for the hinges too. I toyed with the idea of creating the same look as the original. i.e. having a continuous piece of foam from top to bottom. But I think the constant opening and closing is what caused alot of the original foams to deteriorate quicker, where the foam would fold up.

I'll take some shots tonight and post it up. That will hopefully help explain what I did much better than words can.

@keptman if you're still looking to secure the felt, try some 3m command strips. They provide good adhesion but if you need to remove the felt later on, you can pull the tab leaving no adhesive on the surface.

Latest Posts

Back