• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Minimum requirements to access the exchange

Another suggestion:

How about locking welcome threads after a specified amount of time? Or exempting them from the 15 counts rule? Several ancient welcome threads are being revived right now from the dead. We all know what the intent is.

Another suggestion:

How about locking welcome threads after a specified amount of time? Or exempting them from the 15 counts rule? Several ancient welcome threads are being revived right now from the dead. We all know what the intent is.

I don't have a problem with a wait time. I've had a few that were 30 - 60 days before. It is hard for new members that aren't collectors and don't know much to make a comment that is correct. I'm sorry if I happened to bump up a few old threads just I seen in Similar Threads below other new members from AZ. My mistake for not seeing the date, insomnia sucks. I'm just glad for the pair of Oakley's I had on saved my eyes from getting bullet frags when at a shooting match. Hope I can be a good member of the community here and see what might be my next purchase. I don't have anywhere close where I can get to try on any so seeing pics and feedback helps.

I don't have a problem with a wait time. I've had a few that were 30 - 60 days before. It is hard for new members that aren't collectors and don't know much to make a comment that is correct. I'm sorry if I happened to bump up a few old threads just I seen in Similar Threads below other new members from AZ. My mistake for not seeing the date, insomnia sucks. I'm just glad for the pair of Oakley's I had on saved my eyes from getting bullet frags when at a shooting match. Hope I can be a good member of the community here and see what might be my next purchase. I don't have anywhere close where I can get to try on any so seeing pics and feedback helps.
Missing the dates happens to the best of us. Some of us frown over old threads being used to pad counts; it is nothing personal against the newbies. IMO, any new changes will require extra moderation. Sometimes moderating takes time that some of mods don't have.

Awesome that Oakley saved your eyes!!!!! :welcome:

Here's an idea...

The 15 posts / two weeks minimum requirement to access the exchange is to help discourage shysters and give new members a chance to get known by the rest of us before conducting business, right?

And some play the game as designed. While others just rattle off 15 "Welcome" or "cool" or whatever posts to get around the system. And they can do it, too, because the only way to stop it is for a mod to manually monitor and intervene, and y'all got enough to do already.

So how about this: instead of being 15 posts, how about 15 likes? Or 10, or even 5?

That would force the newbies to actually interact, posting stuff that earns likes. And then it's the fellow forum members effectively enforcing the policy, since it's they who give the likes; no mod intervention required.

It's not foolproof, but I think it'd be more effective than simply a post minimum.

Yes?

Exactly - I would assume the current db structure isn't set up with a field to flag whether a post is original or a reply to another post. It could probably be discerned with the proper query for text in the post content (i.e. the word "QUOTE") but then there's also the automation to allow access once conditions are met, adds more load...

Simply switching from minimum posts to minimum likes would have the most improvement with the least change, IMO...

Are you talking about a minimum likes on the things I post? What if the things I say aren't relevant or witty? What if people see that I am new and just purposely not like my comments to keep me from the exchange?

Latest Posts

Back