• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Minute Machine Xmetal

Just a quick question for @THE X-MAN and @GH4AU. Was the sapphire crystal removed from the case when it was Cerakoted? Doesn't cerakoting involve dipping in acetone bath and baking to cure the material? Just curious. Thank you in advance for your time in replying to this question.

In the case of my refinish I masked off the crystal,i didnt want to comprimise the seal between the case and crystal.cause if you paint that mating surface it wont go back togeather.the least amount of dissassembly ...the better in this case.

X-MAN, if I had a TT or MM thats been well worn, could you bring it back to spec, or would it have to be coated or polished? Is plating an option? Could you do a Ducati themed one (Carbon, red rubber, on a red face MM)?

Just a quick question for @THE X-MAN and @GH4AU. Was the sapphire crystal removed from the case when it was Cerakoted? Doesn't cerakoting involve dipping in acetone bath and baking to cure the material? Just curious. Thank you in advance for your time in replying to this question.
This question has been asked before, and unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you. I wasn't involved with the process, only the work that I wanted done. The steps involved were not shared with me, and will not be. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

X-MAN, if I had a TT or MM thats been well worn, could you bring it back to spec, or would it have to be coated or polished? Is plating an option? Could you do a Ducati themed one (Carbon, red rubber, on a red face MM)?
You mean like this?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433180351.557344.jpg

Cerakote is a wonderful thing.
Plating is an option for sure, but the case is a difficult job that has yet to be tackled due to the crystal having to be removed. I am working on a custom right now that involves plating. Keep an eye out...

if you wear that watch on a daily basis The parts that are painted will rub off,especially on the links.no you don't need an acetone bath,once the parts are blasted they can be painted,provided you don't finger them up after blasting

if you wear that watch on a daily basis The parts that are painted will rub off,especially on the links.no you don't need an acetone bath,once the parts are blasted they can be painted,provided you don't finger them up after blasting

Thanks for the response and for answering my question. It really helped in clearing up whether the Sapphire Glass was removed for the process. I also read some posts back that if you had to redo it again...you'll spray it with a matte clear cerakote layer. Would this help for protection from the scratches or is this just a personal preference to make the X-Metal finish darker. Thanks again for your time.

Latest Posts

Back