• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Moda3 on eBay

I think the drip splatters add an ultra retro feel......

Look at them people that bought banksy prints on a new york market stall just liking the art........not to know that they bought a $$$$$$$ worth of banksy paintings

Risk of the game.....flip side of that argument

But sweet pair all the same

You must have just watched Banksy does NY on HBO didn't you.

Here's mine.
image.jpg

They look fake to me. They are far different than any pair i have seen. Without a matching box it's definitely a crap shoot at best

Im guessing this AndyO's auction?
The seller looks to have sold lots of rare oakley stuff lately.

The box that every other pair I have seen it sold with. The paint pattern is way different than any other moda I have ever seen. Watch enough crime shows and you learn about high velocity splatter and how it takes on a different appearance. Every other pair appeared that way and this pair does not.

I have stated enough to make one question it's authenticity, although it could indeed be real. No one is right 100% of the time. That being said do you have anything to prove it's authenticity? You already have bids so it's obviously not a big enough issue for some people

No desire to fight by the way just wanted to weigh in on the authenticity and based on your knowledge of the release it sounds as if you have lots of good knowledge to share

@Romeo Van Frogskinstein - The label you are referring to is the stocking label placed on the box by the retailer (MODA 3) and is not a label applied by Oakley. Oakley part numbers for eyewear only come in a 5-digit numeric format (XX-XXX) or an 8-digit alphanumeric format (OOXXXX-XX).

Oakley never applied a label at the factory because these Frogskins did not have an Oakley part number. In fact, they were shipped to MODA 3 free of charge as a brand-building exercise, which is an action similar to how Valentines & St. Patty's Day Frogskins were distributed, among others. There are no SKU or eyesize marking on the inside of the temple. 40 units were shipped to MODA 3 while an additional 10 units were retained for Oakley archives, 50 unit total production quantity.

A label on the box (or lack thereof) has no bearing on authenticity. Here are links to images of other MODA 3 Frogskins, as you can see each pair is quite distinct from another:

O-Review

oakley frogskin moda 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I made the comment that there was a label on the box albeit of a different size and style to a normal label, and whilst I did not state the origins of it I would add since you claim it is a Moda3 label that the print is consistent with Oakley text. If indeed Oakley had no sku code, and the label is Moda3, then the part # printed of 080463 would surely still stand as a sku, rather than be wholly dismissed. Both O Review and my complete Gen 3 Frogskin list made for the Forum show this sku which I believe would be correct. I do not know the business side of how Moda3 acquired their stock, but these were sold on their website, thus were available to the public, whereas St Patrick's and St Valentine's were not.
You mention that "A label on the box (or lack thereof) has no bearing on authenticity", however, I would suggest the opposite is true, since if all the original product had a specific label on the box (regardless of whether the label was of Moda3 or Oakley origins), then that feature would show some authenticity. The lenses, microbag, plastic bag, insert, and the box 'on it's own' could come from anywhere, and the frame, since all are different, is potentially easy to copy and make to look like a real one, so to me, the label is pivotal. If the ebay pair has that label, I would suggest it is real. I would question how much effort someone would have to go to to produce the label, and make it exact, to pull off a complete fake.

Back