• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Modding Special Editions?

EP3RR

Oakley Enthusiast
Who does it? Who cares if they modded their shades?

Is it sacrilegious to some people? Does it depend on the SE?

I have a pair of Ducati Fuel Cells. I had to replace the lenses because of pitting, but I got BIP instead, and like them much better.

Same as my Alinghi Split Jackets. Not a huge fan of the grey jaw, so swapped them out for matte black, and like them much better.

To me, it's not a big deal. Unless I'm looking to buy a specific SE to shelve, which has never crossed my mind.

Your thoughts?

They're your sunglasses. Do what makes you happy.

It's the same in the car community. Just because you buy a special edition, doesn't mean you shouldn't modify it to your tastes. You may get some flak if you modify a truly unique pair like a Petterson Frogskin, but hey they're yours and you do what you like, whether it's modding or staying true to it.

I feel as long as you don't strip down the frame and repaint it. Have at it. It's good to be able to return it to original if needed.

Personally i wouldn't mod any of my SE's as i can be a bit of a purist. I've modded other frames though.

What i've done is if i wanted to mod an SE frame, i would buy a 2nd pair to mod and keep the 1st pair original.

If it comes down to a SE pair that i've damaged and i can't pick up parts or a new one, i guess i would try to keep it as close to the original as possible, like you did with your lenses.

depends on the SE.

Like if it was something serialized like Rust Decay you might as well flip it first just for everyone's (including your own) benefit.

But if you're insanely ballin' and going complete yolo, then do it dog. I remember the Tron's modded by chop. Those were insane.

I do small mods to almost all my pairs. Swaping lens, icons, socks. I don't look at my shades as investments, I try to enjoy what I have.. but that doesn't mean I don't take really good care of them. Who knows in a few years your taste might change and not be into certain shades so got enjoy what you have.

I tend not to mod any of my limiteds. When it comes to serial or SKU Juliets, I think hard before modding, although that is an easier decision if I have a duplicate of that SKU. For the 4th gen frames (no serial, no SKU), it's all fair game :)

Latest Posts

Back