• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

More fun with LED's

CarGuy

Finally got rid of the default title...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Before my youngest went back to school there was a list of things that he wanted to do with me but we had so little time between the end of summer baseball and move-in day. One was to do the wheels and paint on his Fit, another was to make a cool table for his apartment at school. We got the Fit done but not the table because it just took so many hours to resurrect what was chosen and fit lights to it. I think that he will think it worth the two week wait...

While at RED my wife and son found a great donor at an antique mall for $39. When I got home it was actually a great candidate structurally but unfortunately (for me) there was a really nice piece under the shi**y paint that someone had applied. I've not restored any furniture but this seemed like as good a time as any to learn and bring back some of its beauty.

We started with this:
IMG_0169_zpse88a8a27.jpg

And got to this:
DSC_0247_zpsa3c13b62.jpg

DSC_0253_zps6565409c.jpg

DSC_0248_zps266c52d6.jpg

DSC_0255_zpsc98f4a4e.jpg

DSC_0258_zpsae42f40e.jpg

DSC_0261_zps3b2d46d6.jpg

These work best with real one-way glass and real mirror but my local glass shop is incredibly slow. Not wanting any more delay I used some mirrored tint from Home Depot and applied it to the bottom of the existing glass and cut a sheet of plexi for the bottom and tinted it mirrored too. The LED's work off of a wireless remote and have effects like "chase" in addition to variable colors and brightness.

When the glass shop calls about the real stuff I'll turn it into a mirror for wall art. Hope you enjoy and maybe pick up an idea!

looks awesome, i might've done some research on the piece before adding the LED's as it is very ornate and beautiful looking..definitely hand made.

Latest Posts

Back