• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Most valuable X-Metals?

Esscaster

Oakley Expert
Colorado
Hey All,

Brand new to this forum, until a few days ago didn't even know it existed, even though I've owned a pair of Romeo 1s and Juliets for going on 14 years now. Juliets were Ichiros which now has OEM ruby lenses and Romeos are Plasma/Fire, R1s as I believe it is called here:) Still have the same pair. Juliets only tuned up once and Romeos still going strong. The Romeos get A LOT of attention. Most people think it's the coolest things they've ever seen. Kids stop and turn around like they've just seen some kind of robot. Even girls love 'em.

But yeah got them when I was in college so long ago. If memory serves me correctly, I think they had the Romeo, Juliets, and XX or something back in the day.

But yeah I'm 32 now, a pretty successful guy now and looking into collecting. Wondering first off what are/were all the X-Metals back in the day. I can only think of a few, and what are the most valuable models and color combinations? Similarly, what were the rarest?

Thanks All!

Welcome.

Partial answer; there were eight frame styles in total:

Romeo / R1
Mars
Juliet
Penny
XX
Romeo 2.0 / R2
Half-X / HX
X-Squared / XS

All things being equal, R1 is most expensive and HX the least (HX is kinda the black sheep of the lineup). For highest value / rarity, there's signature versions such as Jordan, Ichiro, Scelzi, etc and/or other Limited Edition / LE versions. Sets complete with matching box & coin are more collectable and demand the best prices.

More could be said on how all the frame styles compare to each other in value, and how specific colorways with each frame style are more rare and/or desirable, but I suggest you take the time to browse around a bit with the search function and you'll find a wealth of info already here for the reading.

Last edited:
kronin is a wealth of info. I just copied and pasted that in my O folder. Learn something new everyday.

The rarest would be some of the one-offs, like the purple (and reportedly a few other colors) Juliets. Most expensive would be somewhere, the low serials, Jordan Romeo*, Leather Mars, Brown Juliet, 24k models, etc.

The Juliet has the most variants, as it was the longest running. Ichiro, Corvette, Duacti, etc.

*Jordan Romeos were the first run. They had 4-digit serial numbers, some with factory red ear socks but I believe most had all black.

The R1 definitely fetches the most as an overall model-for now. I firmly believe the X-Squared in time will become the most expensive X-Metal post discontinuance simply due to the short period of its run prior to the line being axed. The R1 if memory serves was produced from 1997 to 2004 (ish) while the X-Squared was produced for a solid half of that time. The R1 will stay high because collectors desire it and as more time passes the simple fact is fewer "junk drawer" frames are floating around to be grabbed up and put into collectors display cases....BUT the X-Squared I think was a) produced over less time and b) I think there's less "junk drawer" frames of that model that will pop up over time.

One should note that, aside from simple attrition over time, a large number of R1s were taken out of circulation due to the lens crack flaw - there was a period when people who called Oakley about it were offered to exchange their R1s for another frame of their choice, and many chose to do so for the 24K XX, the most expensive frame at the time...

One should note that, aside from simple attrition over time, a large number of R1s were taken out of circulation due to the lens crack flaw - there was a period when people who called Oakley about it were offered to exchange their R1s for another frame of their choice, and many chose to do so for the 24K XX, the most expensive frame at the time...

That's a good point. Anyone know/have theories about what the company did with those? Stockpile them? (for what possible reason though) Destroy them?

That's a good point. Anyone know/have theories about what the company did with those? Stockpile them? (for what possible reason though) Destroy them?
There's a rumor out there that Oakley has a warehouse for items just like that (or so I've been told by another member), and for things like the crate of mars that eyeframesman has been selling. So far though they are tight lipped on location and how you'd go about getting access to such a place. If it exists I'd imagine that's where those frames went. I guess there's a chance they were melted down and made into other Xmetals though too.

There's a rumor out there that Oakley has a warehouse for items just like that (or so I've been told by another member), and for things like the crate of mars that eyeframesman has been selling. So far though they are tight lipped on location and how you'd go about getting access to such a place

:assassin:

I guess there's a chance they were melted down and made into other Xmetals though too.

:(

Latest Posts

Back