• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mountain Biking

I love my photochromic persimmon-black in my flaks. Almost always right for me apart from in really dRk sections especially later in the day,

May get some high yellow it clear at some point, especially for the uk winter.

I have been looking for some lenses for my split jackets for mountain biking and I am having a hard time finding a pair of HI yellow, persimmons or clear for a decent price. I know the optics in aftermarkets are poor but does anyone know how clear or HI yellow are. I just don't feel like spending $60 for lenses I know I will scratch.

I have been looking for some lenses for my split jackets for mountain biking and I am having a hard time finding a pair of HI yellow, persimmons or clear for a decent price. I know the optics in aftermarkets are poor but does anyone know how clear or HI yellow are. I just don't feel like spending $60 for lenses I know I will scratch.

I just got a pair of ruby clear... Which I really like. In previous conversations I mentioned how I found ruby to be too much blue?

Ruby clear is just a little bit blue, a nice contrast enhancer and the iridium coating cuts glare in a noticeable way...

e5aqu5yh.jpg

gyqy2esu.jpg

Two not great photos attempting to show the contrast enhance (jet contrail in photo one) and glare cut from window in photo two. Photo two also shows quite a ruby iridium flash doesn't it...

Last edited:
It depends - biking outside in the direct sunlight or up, down, and around actual mountains with lots of shade and cover? G30 is the best all-around IMO - for % of light and contrast, but I find the VR28 (not VR28 Blk) or VR50, VR50 especially at dusk or dawn, work well too - talking X-Metals here (yes on a mountain bike, RF 29'er). The difference is the environment. Not just the lens, but which X-Metal... have to cut from donors these days... Meh...

Hey! I tend to use my jawbone with photocromatic walleva lenses they are great and cover me from light and dark conditions. I also use red iridium polarized for medium conditions. When it is very sunny i have my black iridium or fire iridium. See you!

I think normal VR28 is very usable for biking in almost all conditions except sitting on a beach in the tropics in full sunlight.
If I could only have 1 lens for mountain biking (assuming you are cycling in/out/under trees), use this one.
If you are cycling in the Utah redrocks then you might want a darker lens.
I would add that VR28 blue iridium is not just a darker vr28 (see my other post), its a bit more orange/amber, so its a different look.

I just spent 5 days in MOAB and brought just my VR28 blue iridium, and clears justincase we didnt get back by dark.
A perfect lens for everything we did. stormy weather up on kokopelli, blazing sun on Mag7.

Latest Posts

Back