• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

MPH Frogskins?

zackedoo

Oakley Beginner
I recently came across a pair of Frogskins that I have been looking for for a while. However, they are MPH, and I was wondering if this made them any less collectable or desirable. I understand that this is the case with some pairs, but if I put the same color lenses in them as the original release, does this make them, in essence, an original release? Are the SKUs the same?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

You have to watch the sku, sometimes they are different. If I remember correctly the sku on most MPH pairs start with 30, and frog skus should start with 24 or 03 depending in when they were released. This doesn't necessarily mean it was printed on the frame but it will appear this way on the box. I hope this helps you.

Thanks for the info. So at the end of the day, does this affect whether or not I should get this pair? Would it be better from a collecting standpoint to wait it out and try to get an original release?

I recently came across a pair of Frogskins that I have been looking for for a while. However, they are MPH, and I was wondering if this made them any less collectable or desirable. I understand that this is the case with some pairs, but if I put the same color lenses in them as the original release, does this make them, in essence, an original release? Are the SKUs the same?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I would estimate the demand for any MPH release to be less than an original counterpart, including Frogskins. With the glass you refer to, if you exchanged the lenses for those that came with the original version all you would have would be a custom pair of MPH, likely reducing the interest further. The change of lens would not alter the part code so you would not be able to create an exact first issue. My personal view is that MPH releases bear many pitfalls from a collecting standpoint and feel any collection would have more strength by opting for the prime alternative.

Man, I guess there's no way around it...gonna have to wait it out and find an original. Thanks for the input, makes a lot of sense

Marine fades. I know they're not a very limited pair but something about them makes me feel like I need to have them

Mr Potato Head on the box makes any pair less valuable. It is basically an extension of the original release by Oakley with a different lens than was in the original (usually grey or black iridium)

I guess you could just buy them for being awesome sunglasses and not worry about resale value, then put them on your face and walk around outside?

Crazy idea these days -> Frog for wearing...

Lol what an idea! On a serious note, I wear every pair of Frogs that I own. I'm not concerned with resale value at all, I just would rather have the original release from a collecting standpoint.

Back