• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My Dealing With The 'Oakley Gang'...

I realize that sunglasses are just objects and can be replaced. I just don't know if I would have made the right decision in just handing them over and keeping myself intact. I had a similar situation happen to me 3 years ago. I was out with my dog, fishing at Peebles Island State Park. The island is surrounded by the joining of the Mohawk and Hudson river. The backside has a wide but small waterfall area known locally as the horseshoe.
Anyways, I'm standing on the falls fishing the horseshoe, when a group of five young men (maybe freshmen college age) approach me from my blindside and pass by me to swim right where I'm fishing. (Their leader?) says, "were going to be swimming here, hope you don't mind" So I reply "Do you mind man, you have the entire river to do that, could you guys go elsewhere?" the leader replies "are you getting long with me? I'm about ready to knock you out"
Before I could even think things through, I very coldly and matter of factly reply,"If you are feeling man enough, take a swing and we will see what happens"
In my head, I was ****ting myself at this point. I'm big guy, but against 5, odds are not good. Lucky for me though, I must have scared their leader because
my bluff worked and after a few more choice words said under their breath, they left me and my dog to get back to fishing.
In retrospect, very dumb move, but its just a huge pet peave of mine that you don't infringe on a mans staked out fishing spot.
Which decisions are "right" in situations like these can really only be determined in hindsight unfortunately. You just have to go with your gut and hope for the best. We both survived to tell our tales, so I guess that says something...

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience, especially being a fellow Georgian. A good friend of mine last year was approached outside in an Autozone parking lot in the middle of the day on a weekend by 3 guys that were going to rob him. This is a busy town mind you. He then opened his jacket with one hand to reveal his .45 and said, "If I unholster this I am going to fire it." The 3 assailants then walked off, got into their car, and drove away. It's shocking that people have the balls to do this sort of thing right out in public in the middle of the day. I hate to hear stories like this, but fortunately you and your family were not hurt. I try and carry as much as I can, but there are times that I figure nothing will go wrong and leave the pistol at home. I know that may not be the best idea, because anything can happen at any place at any time. I hope that you are not bothered by these guys again and maybe they will get what is coming to them down the road.

Sorry to hear about this,, reckon in your situation i would've thrown them on the floor. ( if i'm not having them,you're certainly not ),and i never carry large amounts of cash.
Luckily for me we live in a relatively small town Beaufort SC,, just a few minutes drive from Parris Island.
It just makes me sad that this type of thing happens.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience, especially being a fellow Georgian. A good friend of mine last year was approached outside in an Autozone parking lot in the middle of the day on a weekend by 3 guys that were going to rob him. This is a busy town mind you. He then opened his jacket with one hand to reveal his .45 and said, "If I unholster this I am going to fire it." The 3 assailants then walked off, got into their car, and drove away. It's shocking that people have the balls to do this sort of thing right out in public in the middle of the day. I hate to hear stories like this, but fortunately you and your family were not hurt. I try and carry as much as I can, but there are times that I figure nothing will go wrong and leave the pistol at home. I know that may not be the best idea, because anything can happen at any place at any time. I hope that you are not bothered by these guys again and maybe they will get what is coming to them down the road.

Yeah I agree with what you said pertaining to carrying. Laws are laws, but it really bothers me that if I'm going to a "gun free zone" like an elementary school or government building that I am forbidden by nonsensical laws to carry. These are EXACTLY the places for people to carry.

People never know/feel that today, at this moment, a psychopath will be in that school on a war path while you are there. I will end my comment with this. I'm not advocating breaking the law, but personally let's just say I'd rather be safe than sorry in those places

David

I carry almost 24/7... Laws are going to be broken by criminals so I'm going to prepare for that. Only place I don't carry is my job and I pocket carry too so I'm not advertising. I'm in Ga.t oo and am really sorry to hear all these stories. I wear my metals proudly and want people to notice... naturally, but his makes me weary for sure. Thanks for sharing this. I'll now be on the lookout for this kinda thing.

I carry almost 24/7... Laws are going to be broken by criminals so I'm going to prepare for that. Only place I don't carry is my job and I pocket carry too so I'm not advertising. I'm in Ga.t oo and am really sorry to hear all these stories. I wear my metals proudly and want people to notice... naturally, but his makes me weary for sure. Thanks for sharing this. I'll now be on the lookout for this kinda thing.

I'm with you on the carry frequency and I also do not carry in the office. Funny thing is the office is now a target because it's a known gun free zone. Granted nothing has happened so far but I'm just saying that I'm defenseless in the office against such threats. Go figure lol

Back