• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My small Penny-bias x-metal collection

Ben G

Oakley Expert
Essex, UK
Firstly my Juliet's, being the first x-metals I bought. I bought them off a mate of a mate who had them from new and admitted he'd used them a lot, been everywhere (beaches to snowy mountains) and seen many things, and as a result, were loose as hell, but I thought they were worth a punt. Too loose to wear really, so, they lived in a drawer!

Flash forward many months, after a trip to the X-Man and new OEM unobtanium fitted, you wouldn't think they were as old as they are!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

He said he used the original box to store them in his luggage when traveling, hence why that's soo beaten, but it's pretty cool that it's as well traveled! I shall continue to use these now when I go abroad, as it wouldn't be fair to these to live on display!

Next is a pair of polished Penny's that came with BI lenses. Bought them off ebay mainly for the draw of the low serial number (I hadn't seen many serials this low whilst looking around the forum) plus the seller said they were in great condition... alas although the frames were nice and the lenses pretty clean, the bridge was shot and it had a rusted orbital screw & tired o-matter. So after much soaking in wd40, I carefully drilled out the rusted head, wound out the stud then tried to polish up the frame a touch more (didn't want a mirror finish, wanted to keep that casted look, just shinier!) then sent to the x-man, fitted some linegear blue rubber and swapped in some Ice lenses for this look..

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My next pair of Penny's were just a lucky find on the bay of e's, wasn't much info on them, but when they arrived they were pretty much mint, bridge pretty much tight, unobtanium clean, lenses flawless and frames spotless! Out the 4 Penny's I have, these were the cheapest too, go figure!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've been wearing these a lot, even though deep down I'm a Frogskin guy at heart, these are my favourites by far, that's why when they're not on my face they live in a Jupiter Camo bag just.because.its.awesome..

image.jpg

Lastly these two pairs, ones better than the other but they're both stripped down ready to be shipped out to the x-man once payday has arrived, ones getting tuned and the other will become x-metal finish as, well, I need a set of x-metal finished Penny's in my life, but I can't afford the £/$ they go for online ATM, lol

image.jpg

Thanks for reading, I'll update once they're finished and I inevitably buy more, as you all know once you start, you just can't stop! I'd like to end up with a pair of each metal (regardless of colour way or if it's a SE or not) just to have a full set :)

Last edited:
Great detailed history of the frames. Your collection looks nice and I hope you are able to fill it out in the way you want.

Thanks, I always like a bit of a back story or history of things, anything really not just these frames, if I buy something second hand or something old is given to me, it's great to hear a bit of history, it gives it character :)

The thing about x metals is they were clearly designed to last (well, except for the bridges) so unless they get totally battered, they can be cleaned up as new and given a whole new life to live. I'm sure one day I'll pass some of mine on to carry on their story :)